Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get the back end brighter in both braking and signaling, as well as use less power, and also incorporate the longevity of the LED. Can someone with a better handle on electronics tell me if I have selected the proper LED Flasher to replace the incandescent relay?

Here is a pic of the current relay for my 79CX500C...

Here is the link to the LED Flasher Unit Specifications Page for the one I think I need...LED Flasher Unit CF12ANL-01

SuperbrightLED's.com

Here are the LED's I am adding to the rear blinkers/runners and Brake lights...

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
What do i need to look for for a direct fit replacement LED bulb? i have been wanting to do this to my bike, dont know what to look for. bulbs/sockets arent my strong point.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do i need to look for for a direct fit replacement LED bulb? i have been wanting to do this to my bike, dont know what to look for. bulbs/sockets arent my strong point.

I can follow some circuits, but not my strong-suit, my electrical background is somewhat limited.

I just took out the bulbs and measured them with a set of calipers. I think the push-n-twist style bulbs and sockets are an industry standard, and this LED company recognizing this has made a neat adaptation to an indandescent bulb.

The LED Website has some really detailed drawings/sketches in their specification sections. What I would do is pull the bulbs you have and measure them to see if they would fit. Also note the number of contacts on the bulb...the rear blinkers and brake light are dual element and also an industry standard 1157 I believe.

I do know that since the LED's do not draw much current, the standard flasher relay will not have enough 'push' to toggle them on and off...so you will need to acquire the correct LED flasher unit which is what my inquiry is about.

Reg raises some good questions...I think I will call the LED Tech Service and see how far I get. I am thinking if I convert some to LED's the load will be less. Eventually I would like to have them all converted. For this go-around, I just bought enough to take care of the dash lamps which replace those little 3.4Watt Stanleys, and the rear Brake light.

I also had the idea of using those LED on a rope, stick them to the inside of the Brake light lense, one strip for the running light, and anothe wired for the brake light. I have also thought of adding a couple Chromed bullet lights in the back right next to the current brake light.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The flasher illustrated is the right one. Also the turn signal bulbs illustrated are the best ones to go for. Be sure to get the amber or yellow ones. The electronic flasher will handle a regular bulb load too(or both).

The brake bulb that they sell is a really good one too. It's bright. It has clear leds around the perimeter to light the license plate area.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The flasher illustrated is the right one. Also the turn signal bulbs illustrated are the best ones to go for. Be sure to get the amber or yellow ones. The electronic flasher will handle a regular bulb load too(or both).

The brake bulb that they sell is a really good one too. It's bright. It has clear leds around the perimeter to light the license plate area.

AWESOME. so you have some experience wiht these exact LED's then? If so, how long have you 'run-them' Roger? I can't wait to get them now! haha. I did purchase the AMBER ones and Red as they recommended.

·
Registered
782 Posts
AWESOME. so you have some experience wiht these exact LED's then? If so, how long have you 'run-them' Roger? I can't wait to get them now! haha. I did purchase the AMBER ones and Red as they recommended.
I have been running them for about 8 months. Also I purchased the brake lite flasher from them. It's kinda neat, It rapidly flashes several times then goes to solid on when the brake is applied. A little more attention getting in the name of saftey and I'm all for saftey. One thing about LEDs is they have no "ramp up" time like regular bulbs do. They are full on and off in a nano second.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPS Tracking says my LED's should arrive sometime today!!! I plan to post some before and after pics with the camera location fixed relative to the bike, and try to make or capture a fair comparison between incandescent and LED. I plan to replace the instrument 3.4W...and the Brake light. Only 6 more hours to go!

as it goes a watched pot never boils, and a watched tracking number...Incorrect routing at UPS facility--rescheduled to arrive Friday.

And to think I went with UPS for all of their other successful deliveries. Maybe next time I will try the US Postal Service. Is there any precaution or follow up I need to do on my end? I don't know that I can do anything other than wait.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well here is a pic of the Incandescent versus the LED...I don't think the pictures quite do the LED's Justice, but MMMMayn are they bright!!

The top two are the Incandescents running on left & Brake applied on Right, same for the bottom, but with the LED installed. You can see that the LED lense is so much fuller. I was impressed. More later, I am beat today.

I think you can also see there is a HUGE difference in the LED Running versus Applied.

I alos Like the INSTANT nature of the LED...it hits you fast.

·
Registered
595 Posts
So, will using some red LED bulbs for my tail lights affect the lighting of my license plate? I mean, it uses the same lights, but it goes through a clear panel so it'd be red lighting on the plate. I guess that if I'm getting pulled over it shouldn't matter either way haha.

And any true consensus on the whole turning signal sapping power from the brake lights thing? I keep hearing it will and it won't. How'd it work for you, Rick? I'm about to buy a pair at Auto Zone for 16 bucks. I was holding off until I read that the red ones work best with the lens (they only have red 1157, no white). Price is a bit steep, but considering that I'm not paying shipping, it isn't too big of a deal.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
My LED stop/Tail lights have had no effect on my number plate light as they shouldn't.On my UK CXs there's a small plate inside the rear lens that prevents light coming down from the Brake lights.If yours doesn't have one I'd stick a bit of plate above the bulb some how

·
Registered
595 Posts
For the Custom we don't have a specific plate light. We have two 1157 bulbs in the tail light assembly, with two mirrors behind them. The lens is all red, except for the bottom which is white. So our plate gets brighter as we brake. So if I get these, the plate will be lit with red lights. Oh, and here in Fl, if you're under 21 your plate has to be red...haha. Even though it'll make it hard for cops to read, I think that it's a worthy price to pay for a brighter tail light. Considering I usually speed and have never once even gotten a dirty look from a cop, it'll make no difference.

I'll even slap an LED tail light on my dad's Yamaha Razz, though it definitely will affect his lighting system...the blinkers already make his brake light get dim (then again, only at lower RPMs when the battery is at a lower charge. Such a weird electrical system).

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, will using some red LED bulbs for my tail lights affect the lighting of my license plate? I mean, it uses the same lights, but it goes through a clear panel so it'd be red lighting on the plate. I guess that if I'm getting pulled over it shouldn't matter either way haha.

And any true consensus on the whole turning signal sapping power from the brake lights thing? I keep hearing it will and it won't. How'd it work for you, Rick? I'm about to buy a pair at Auto Zone for 16 bucks. I was holding off until I read that the red ones work best with the lens (they only have red 1157, no white). Price is a bit steep, but considering that I'm not paying shipping, it isn't too big of a deal.

Hey Cramer,

I've not measured any voltages so I can't say. The LED 1157 I bought from SuperbrightLEDs.com was 25 bucks. I is solidly built. My plate does glow red, they also sell a white LED Light for plates I am thinking of buying too. Not sure what the law says about it, and if color matters in Ohio. Since Ohio is a Police State anyways, I will probably have to be white...

I plan to upgrade the turning signals as well, but at 25 a pop, I have to spread the purchases out over time.

I did replace the indicating lamps with the LED's and MAN are they bright. I was worried they were a bit much, but they are actually growing on me. The Green Neutral light has been Awesome as it stands out SOOOOooo much more than the bulbs.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well, considering that we have tons of the wannabe bikers down here in Florida with the really tiny LED tail light and a plate directly beneath it, usually only lit by the tail light, I think I'd be fine. It just would be quite hard to read! But meh, if they want to read it, they're probably about ready to pull me over either way. '

The pair at Auto Zone is only 16 bucks, and they look rather nice, so I guess I'll pick those up some time this week and contribute with some pics.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, considering that we have tons of the wannabe bikers down here in Florida with the really tiny LED tail light and a plate directly beneath it, usually only lit by the tail light, I think I'd be fine. It just would be quite hard to read! But meh, if they want to read it, they're probably about ready to pull me over either way. '

The pair at Auto Zone is only 16 bucks, and they look rather nice, so I guess I'll pick those up some time this week and contribute with some pics.

Looking forward to your pics Cramer.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Ok, I really didn't take good enough pics. I only took pics of them running. While running, they seem somewhat equal, with a slight bit of favor to the standard lights. With the brake switch hit, the LEDs obviously are a lot more responsive, but aren't nearly as bright as the white lights. Now, this was with me viewing from the front, and these lights projected light straight back, so maybe I was unable to get a good enough opinion of them. I took videos, but they look just about the same. I ran a white light with a LED light with and without the lens on, and it seemed like the white light easily overpowered the LED light.

LED running:

White running:

Here's a vid when I had them both together at once. Everyone [email protected] me burning my thumb to hell toward the end
. I took a video of nearly every other situation, but I'm unsure of their usefulness. If you want any of just the LEDs alone in the lens, or whites alone in the lens, or without the lens, or whatever, let me know. Just uploading this one is a bit less hassle, and seems to reveal the same info, as the others have so much glare they all look just as bright anyhow.

Oh, and ignore the tags on the video. After the first few, those all literally were youtube recommended tags, and I accepted them all just for laughs to see what it'd suggest next. What a neat new feature, though the tags it suggests are hilariously irrelevant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93HPMxXs8js

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.