Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed new 12v turn signals onto my 79 cx500D. Also I had to get a new flasher relay from pepboys because mine was done. I connected all the wires the right way and im having issues. ope you guys can help. So when i turn on the bike all four turn signals turn on but when i turn on the right blinker the the front left turn signal turns off and the back right turn signal blinks while the front right turn signal stays a solid yellow. Now when i turn on the left blinker the something happens again. So the left back blinker turns on and blinks then the left front stays solid while the right front turns off but the back right stays lit also. I do not know what is going on and i am stumped! I can ride this way but id rather have it working correctly! Any ideas what could be going on? ill check my wiring again but i dont think its that.

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok update...so I just went out and noticed that I wired the front ones wrong. The wires was opposite of what the back was. So now here is the issue. I turn on the right blinkers the right back blinks but the right front turns off. Same with the left but all turn signals are on when I don't have the blinker going. When I turn oneside on to turn the back blinks but the front one of that side turns off.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Are these LED bulbs? Did you check to make sure that the front 2 bulbs are duel capacity and not single?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These arnt LED bulbs. They are regular bulbs but they only have one filament. All lights are the same so if the back blink why won't the front? I even tried to hook up my old ones to the front and they wouldn't blink either just the back.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i would have to lean to what ranger said as I just wired up my blinkers last nite and was having a similar problem, but I was using stock signals and one of them had a single filament bulb in it and it was throwing everything off

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what are you saying that they have to all have a dual filament to work right?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Just the front ones need to be duel filament because they are used as signal/running lights, where the rears are only used as signals. Unless it's legal in your state to run running lights to rear signals. A lot states do not allow amber running lights to the rear, unless they are red.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What if I get a conversion kit? Would that help me out? How many would I need cuz these lights are brand new!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so only front needs dual. I'm going to look for ones that are dual then. Think I can find the same bulb in a dual form?

·
Registered
725 Posts
You shouldn't have any problem with getting them at your local auto parts store. Just take the bulb from one of the front signals with you and tell them you need a duel filament in this style bulb.
I believe the number is 1034.

HTH
Let me know if this works out for you.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it's not the original lights they are ones I bought from a motorcycle shop for $20. I just took the bulb and there wasnt anything there. It looks like I need to buy a new dual filament turn signals for the front

·
Registered
725 Posts
Most auto parts stores like NAPA, Autozone, etc. carry them and they are usually always in stock. Just pickup 2 of the duel filament bulbs for the front and that should fix your issue. You can always keep the single filament bulbs you've already got for spares to the rear signals.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
You dont need dual filaments to make it work right........make sure your signals are wired into the correct side and on the front do not plug into the running light wiring. At worst you may need to switch the relay to an electronic unit (good upgrade anyways). Blue wire is signal (right side), blue with white is right front running light. Orange wire is left signal, orange and white is left front running light.
If you need to check the wiring diagram in wiki http://cxgl.wikispaces.com/file/view/schaltplan_1979_cx500c_am.jpg/394884276/schaltplan_1979_cx500c_am.jpg

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
and in your first posting it sounds like you plugged turn signals into running light.............EP 34 should be the right number for the electronic flasher relay

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I did what you said and ran a separate ground for the lights. Now my blinkers are working how they are suppose to be! But now here is the thing...doing this route takes away my running light from all turn signals. Is that ok? Won't get a ticket? Only time they come on is now when I turn them on by the turn signal.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
running lights are on the fronts only, if you wish to have those then you will need a dual filament turn signal.......and its not a matter of just switching bulbs as it requires a secondary power source (extra wire on turn signal)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tha k you everyone for your help! I got it to work finally! Just curious but I just got a bike for free that's been sitting since 1989! Where should I start first? I want to get it to run again

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
First check to see that the motor turns free........17mm inspection cover uunder the rad at the front of the motor, turn with socket. If thats good, change the oil, change the air filter, get a new battery, CLEAN the carbs and check the gas tank for rust (may need to be cleaned), and dental mirror on cam chain to see life that is left (probably going to need a new mech seal. If the bike was running before it was parked, it should at least start, then you can run checks on the stator etc. (electrics)
Oh, and see if the rad needs to be flushed
And if that goes well, throw in some new clutch springs at the bare minimum

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok that first part can you explain in dummy version lol this is my first bike I will attempt to rebuild. It was free so I figured why not! Also it's a 1980 cm400t. I know this isn't the right forum for that bike but I've been part of this forum for a while and love the advice!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Ok that first part can you explain in dummy version lol this is my first bike I will attempt to rebuild. It was free so I figured why not! Also it's a 1980 cm400t. I know this isn't the right forum for that bike but I've been part of this forum for a while and love the advice!
He was going on the assumption that you were working on a CX/GL.

You're going to have to learn about the cm400t just like I had to learn about my Yamaha XS500. Completely different from a CX/GL

This isn't mine. Motorcycle Repair Course <--- lots of good info to get you up and running.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts