Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the lenses off one of the front and rear blinker assemblies and from what I could tell the assemblies look exactly the same, they just have different bulbs in them and are obviously wired differently. The front bulb has 2 filaments whereas the rear has one.

So in other words if one (say me for example) wanted to have the rear be "running lights" AND blinkers like the front then what I would have to do is simply wire the rears like the front and use the same bulb as the front, but I could use the same assembly. Is this correct ?? OR Do I need to find "front speciific" blinker assemblies and put them on the back then wire accordingly of course.

Yes I know I would also need to get 2 red lenses for the rear.

As my lead in says, I don't know why this wasn't done this way at the factory ? The more light the safer, the safer the better.

EDIT: Would this put too much of an additional electrical strain on an '82 ?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike,

Oh without a doubt.....I've consciously checked this myself on the highways. The bikes with the hard luggage and hence MORE red lights are MUCH easier to see from farther behind than the bikes with the one little tail light like ours...this is a NO brainer.

So then then I need to find a couple FRONT assemblies to put on the rear ? Then wire accordingly ?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I won't do this with aftermarket blinkers....I want it to look the same. Hence the route for me to go would be to find some used FRONT blinker assemblies from a parted out CX and put THEM on the back.

I HAVE seen the red blinker lenses for our blinker assemblies somewhere before.

If it's on the rear of the vehicle and it's on all the time then it HAS to be red by law. Notice that on cars no amber is always on, it's only the red. Blinkers can be either amber or red.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.