Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
'83 CX500C (B+, not Custom), '83 CX650ED, '91 NT650L, '89 PC800L '91 VX800L, '02 R1150RT et al...
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Passionate Twisted-Twin Fan., but as you can see from my pix, I have a thing for V-Twins in general -though not cruisers, per se...
Do all my own spannering.
Have sat back in the shadows here for the last 9mths. Time to step up & get involved.

And yes, the bikes own me. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Reactions: bahn88

·
Premium Member
'83 CX500C (B+, not Custom), '83 CX650ED, '91 NT650L, '89 PC800L '91 VX800L, '02 R1150RT et al...
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW Look at S/car Bobs tips on accounts and maybe let use know what bike models you have in your footer......
🐏🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑
Ta for the tip. Have done as you suggested. Cheers.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,944 Posts
Dang that's more bikes than my local dealer ,pictures would be nice, oh yeah welcome, cheers Gerard

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dang that's more bikes than my local dealer ,pictures would be nice, oh yeah welcome, cheers Gerard
Pix are in my Album> Sorry -finding things on this website can be a journey in itself -for me anyways... (I'm a digital dinosaur...)

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,475 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile too (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

I guess I don't need to welcome you to the world of antique vehicle ownership but it never hurts to remind people that when ar bike is about 4 decades old it may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,944 Posts
What is media? I feel you , getting annoyed with all the changes in life just want it to be simple so I can get work done , and go for a ride. Which it is Sunny right now at 11c so will talk I a couple of hours.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
What is media? I feel you , getting annoyed with all the changes in life just want it to be simple so I can get work done , and go for a ride. Which it is Sunny right now at 11c so will talk I a couple of hours.
If you hoover over a members name a dialog box pops up with options. Hoover over hotfj and in the top RH corner there is "media", click on that and pics pop up. Lot's of nice ones i might add.

Reactions: Gerard and bahn88

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile too (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

I guess I don't need to welcome you to the world of antique vehicle ownership but it never hurts to remind people that when ar bike is about 4 decades old it may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).
Location & other fields populated. Appreciate the heads up.

Reactions: Sidecar Bob

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Only fields that won't "stick" are OCCUPATION & INSURANCE. Undocumented "feature" ?

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,944 Posts
So back from a ride to Princess Auto to put a hold (to big to take home on the bike)on a shop heater, 125,000 btu gas for $899 ,big whoa .
HotFj ,love the fairing on the Cx650e first time have seen one ,is it honda made or aftermarket. Cheers

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't worry about those. We don't need to know those to help you keep your bike running.
I hope I will be able to contribute to that effort.
In the interests of being a positive newbie contributor to this forum...

I'm an Aircraft Eng who is nearing retirement. I've always treated my bikes as if they're A/Craft.

At the risk of oversharing / preaching to the choir / giving egg-sucking lessons.., I have two primary mottos for my vehicle maintenance;
"PREVENTATIVE Maintenance is the most economic maintenance".
"Oil is a cheap spanner". (Esp if clean & changed regularly mit filter). Includes lubing anything that moves & keeping things clean.

Here's a fun fact. 50% of the engine/gearbox etc wear occurs in the last 20% of the Oils' usage. So a change at 80% can reduce wear by up to 50%. (e.g. 4000kms vs. 5000kms).
Have you ever noticed how many potential problems you've caught before total failure, just because you cleaned your bike?

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So back from a ride to Princess Auto to put a hold (to big to take home on the bike)on a shop heater, 125,000 btu gas for $899 ,big whoa .
HotFj ,love the fairing on the Cx650e first time have seen one ,is it honda made or aftermarket. Cheers
When I "rescued" the CX650ED (I swapped it for a PC800 -I had 1 too many (was another "rescue")), I was told that the Fairing was made in Australia where someone went to the trouble of taking a mold from a Turbo Fairing. It's fibreglass, but well made. Bonus -it's always repairable should the need arise. I'm now trying to find a set of engine protection bars to fit her.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,944 Posts
Ah yes , I have said for many years" KEEP IT FULL AND KEEP IT CLEAN (INSIDE &OUTSIDE) simplest way to get non mechancial minds to understand how to take care of their bikes,cars or airplanes.
Good on you to treat your bikes like an aircraft . Having had my pilots licence since I was 17 and riding since I was 24 have figured out airplances and bikes main goal in life is to be "love on", if not loved they are out to kill you! Most say good looking fleet, cheers Gerard

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,944 Posts
Custom made , nice work ,might be able to help with the engine guards . Got a set around here somewhere have to see if they are for a five hundred or Six fifty. Cheers

1 - 20 of 28 Posts