Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I came outside this morning to drive to school, I looked under my 78 CX500 and there was a big black spot on the pavement. I checked the gas tank and I think that there was more gas in the tank yesterday. I drove to the gas station and filled up and it is running fine but Im a little worried about that spot, because something is leaking out of the bike and I dont like NOT knowing what it is. Has anyone had this problem, or have any idea what it could be? Thanks

Photocodo

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
It's hard to say mate, your description is a bit vague. If your motor is dirty give it a cleanup. This will help to pinpoint the leak.

Likely suspects are the oilseal on the gear shift, breather blowby from the bottom of the airbox if toward the rear of the motor. If it's appearing below the coolant pump probably a rear cam seal.

If from behind the radiator it could be the front cam or tach seals or the gasket on the front cam carrier.

Unless it's leaking copiously don't sweat it too much, a bit of observation will probably show you the source sooner or later. Sometimes a bit of talcum powder applied to the suspect area will help to find the source of the leak.

Hope this is some help.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
+1 on the possibility for the drain tubes. There are supposed to be plugs on some of those, not all. It's a good idea to drain those, say once a month or two.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After class I had a little time to give it a good look and found that the right carb is leaking. Its coming through the gasket where the bowl attaches to the rest of the carb. I wiped it clean and could see it slowly seeping out within a few seconds of wiping it. The Left carb seems fine though. Is it plausible for me to rebuild the carbs by myself? keep in mind Im a newbie with motorcycles but mechanically inclined. It doesnt seem too difficult but I dont want to screw anything up. Also, is there any quick fix for this problem? I am in the process of moving around and dont have a lot of time, however my motorcycle is my main transportation so is there anything that I can do that will stop the leak temporarily until I get a little more time? Thanks for all the help so far. Does anyone have a recommendation of where to buy the rebuild kit?

photocodo

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
After class I had a little time to give it a good look and found that the right carb is leaking. Its coming through the gasket where the bowl attaches to the rest of the carb. I wiped it clean and could see it slowly seeping out within a few seconds of wiping it. The Left carb seems fine though. Is it plausible for me to rebuild the carbs by myself? keep in mind Im a newbie with motorcycles but mechanically inclined. It doesnt seem too difficult but I dont want to screw anything up. Also, is there any quick fix for this problem? I am in the process of moving around and dont have a lot of time, however my motorcycle is my main transportation so is there anything that I can do that will stop the leak temporarily until I get a little more time? Thanks for all the help so far. Does anyone have a recommendation of where to buy the rebuild kit?

photocodo
you might not need a rebuild kit[yet].

just try,putting your bike on the main stand as your looking at the leaking carb.try tapping the bowl firmly with a handle of a screwdriver.you could well have a bit of sediment[dirt]stopping your fnv from closing fully.it might dislodge it

are you running with an in line fuel filter?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I agree with Bandit. Or maybe your float is leaking or set to high. The level in the float bowl shouldn't quite reach the gasket level when the bike is on the center stand. And the overflow tube should come into play before they leak at the gasket. So check the overflow tube, check the drain hose for stoppage, check the float level (15.5mm), check the needle valve for crud, add a in-line filter, and then you can see about getting a "kit". The kit will not solve or address these issues.

If tapping the float bowl doesn't help, try running the bike with the petcock off until it dies. That will empty the bowl and maybe dislodge something. Or open the drain screw and drain the bowl with the petcock off. Then open the petcock and see what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.