Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people using for restoring black plastic restoration. I have come across a couple of products but do not know which is better or I there is some other alternative.

1) Forever Black
2) Back to Black (MOTHERS)

advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

John

·
Registered
323 Posts
What are people using for restoring black plastic restoration. I have come across a couple of products but do not know which is better or I there is some other alternative.

1) Forever Black
2) Back to Black (MOTHERS)

advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

John
Oddly, I've just come in from the garage having sprayed a first coat on my inner fender, that is now my outer fender. I've had some success with rustoleum's paint and primer combo that "also bonds to plastic!". im using the semi gloss black.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have used in the past with a lot of patience - very fine steel wool pads - and lots of detergent... use it liberally and like sandpaper, normally direct strokes up and down no circular motions.

The steel wool will abrade the very top layer of the discoloured/scratched plastic and reveal a nice flat shiny surface underneath - then treat with any form of protection - like armour all or even used tyre shine from an aereosol can.... seems to work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've used the Mother's Back to Black and have had great results. It goes on like liquid wax and buffs off. The white out on the black plastic is gone.

Dave

·
Registered
40 Posts
For a real nice deep black.

Jif....creamy.

The oils from the peanut butter will get it back to a nice beautiful black.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Google a product called "Pig Spit" (yes, not a typo!!) Spray it on, wipe it in and watch your plastic come back from the dead! I just used it on a pair of plastic solar lamps that sit near a waterfall. After a year or so sitting in 24/7 water mist, they looked terrible. A few seconds spritz from the Pig Spit can and a light rub down, and voila! almost like new. I have no exposed plastic left on my bike, so someone else will have to try it and report back how Pig Spit works as intended. It is sold as a motorcycle detailing product, thus the moniker, "Pig Spit" (you know, like a spit shine for HOG's).

Anyhow, works great and can be had for under $15 delivered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts