Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Honda CX500Turbo, 1983 Honda CX650Turbo, 1974 Norton 850 Commando, 2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been restoring a friend's '83 Turbo, and the mirror housings black chrome finish was severely pitted. I read on this forum to sand them with aluminum foil. And to my surprise that worked well to smoothing out the pitting. The surface is very smooth now, but there are still signs of rust pits, which are less than 1 mm in diameter, but there are many of these pits. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on doing a complete refinishing of the black chrome?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Not a turbo owner, but the thing to remember bout chrome (black included) is that the layer is very thin.
Anything "abrasive" to remover those pits including 000/0000 steel wool, or "turtle wax" cut and polish will remove some further chrome and an imperfect finish is still evident.....

Other turbo owners might be able to suggest what works but I know many who had black chrome exhausts in the 80s and it was difficult to maintain......they often went ceramic coating for their restos....

·
Registered
1982 Honda CX500Turbo, 1983 Honda CX650Turbo, 1974 Norton 850 Commando, 2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the advice of not doing anything that will only make it worse, which I'm afraid of possibly doing.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Again, mine was just general advice....given that a lot of things are NLA/expensive to replace be cautious......
Turbo owners may have a "trick"/method to share with you that they have successfully used.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I understand completely what you are saying. Thanks again and for your follow-up explanation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts