Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
You know I don't know what to say because the manuals all seem to lie in their own way.

The manual says

Oil capacity

3.8 U.S. quarts after disassembly

3.3 U.S. quarts after draining and oil filter replacement

3.2 U.S quarts after draining.

What I can tell you is that I don't trust any of the numbers. I would get 4 quarts and call it a learning experience.

Find level ground and put the bike on the center stand. Add 2 3/4 quarts. Then add slowly checking the level on the dipstick every 8th of a quart.

For checking the level on the dipstick remember that you don't screw in the dip stick. You wipe it and place it in the hole and read it. Screwing it in will give a false reading.

I was going to change my oil on the 650 today for the first time but never got to it.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
...........For checking the level on the dipstick remember that you don't screw in the dip stick. You wipe it and place it in the hole and read it. Screwing it in will give a false reading.

Thanks for posting this little fact! I searched the online owners manuals and couldn't find this information. It makes sence to not have to screw in the dipstick.......but you never know!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thanks for posting this little fact! I searched the online owners manuals and couldn't find this information. It makes sence to not have to screw in the dipstick.......but you never know!

If you haven't done it, remove the oil pan (650 exclusive)and check/clean the oil pickup screen while you have the oil out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help all.. ended up using about 3.25 qts brought it to the top of the crosshatch not screwing it in

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
If you haven't done it, remove the oil pan (650 exclusive)and check/clean the oil pickup screen while you have the oil out.

Abes,

What do you do about the oil pan gasket? Do you just make up a new one out of the same gasket material that you use for the engine? This is on my list of things to do. I saw the gasket was NLA.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Abes,

What do you do about the oil pan gasket? Do you just make up a new one out of the same gasket material that you use for the engine? This is on my list of things to do. I saw the gasket was NLA.

I couldn't readily find an oil pan gasket so I just stuck the pan back on with some copper RTV. The same stuff i use on my truck differential cover. I't been leak free for over a year now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.