Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have photos and more information later today when I push my bike home from a parking garage downtown (not too excited for that adventure) but I just tried starting my bike and when I hit the ignition, a clicking noise came from the switch assembly/fuse area, and then nothing else happened. My battery is fully charged so I know that's not the issue. Any ideas? I would have removed the assembly and taken a look at the fuse but I didn't have any tools with me. For reference, the noise is coming from the area numbered as #10 on the parts manual page, attached here.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
... but I just tried starting my bike and when I hit the ignition, a clicking noise came from the switch assembly/fuse area, and then nothing else happened. My battery is fully charged so I know that's not the issue.
Did you try bypassing the solenoid by using something like a screwdriver to bridge the two studs on the solenoid, part 10?
How do you know the battery is fully charged? How old is the battery? Is it a normal lead-acid battery or an AGM?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great news this evening everyone!! After spraying the contact cleaner into the hole under the starter button and working it many times, I connected the battery, turned on the ignition and hit the starter button and it it cranked over like it was new!!! I was sooo happy to hear it cranking over. I shot a bit of quick start down the air box and it started right up smooth as ever...for 3 seconds. LOL
But thats great news cause I checked the fuel petcock and it was shut off. No bad fuel leaked in to the carbs or sitting in them...The guy knew how to store it! Next step, drain the tank and remove it and see how it runs on an iv bottle.
Thank you so much to those that mentioned that little hole and contact cleaner. Thats all it needed. One Very Happy CX Owner now. :):):):)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been reading through a lot of old posts on this issue and plan to do some tests this weekend. Was wondering if anyone has advice on where exactly I should test voltage using my multimeter and what readings I should be looking for? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Great news this evening everyone!! After spraying the contact cleaner into the hole under the starter button and working it many times,
You might spray the kill switch too. I was having trouble starting when I first got my GL500 that was stored for 14 years. It had started easlity the first half dozen times, then got finicky.
I found if I flipped the kill switch several times, it would start. So I sprayed it with cleaner and worked it and I haven't had any trouble since.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I've been reading through a lot of old posts on this issue and plan to do some tests this weekend. Was wondering if anyone has advice on where exactly I should test voltage using my multimeter and what readings I should be looking for? Thanks!
The click when pushing the start button could be a bad connection, bad battery or bad solenoid. As a first test try jumping the solenoid by bridging the two large terminals with something like a screwdriver shaft. Does that cause the starter to run?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The click when pushing the start button could be a bad connection, bad battery or bad solenoid. As a first test try jumping the solenoid by bridging the two large terminals with something like a screwdriver shaft. Does that cause the starter to run?
By "the two large terminals" do you mean the terminals with rubber covers that are on top of the solenoid, right? Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow. If it does start, does that mean the solenoid is shot?

On another note, I just topped off the fluids in my battery and charged it, then put it into my bike and tried starting it. I got one crank, then back to the clicking noise and nothing else. A buddy of mine gave me one of those wire light bulb testers. Any tips on how I could use that to help diagnose this issue?

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
It sounds like your battery is toast. If you have jumper cables try to start the bike with a boost from another battery.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
If you have access to a voltmeter, measure the voltage between the battery terminals. Do this with key off, with key on and while pressing the start button.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you have access to a voltmeter, measure the voltage between the battery terminals. Do this with key off, with key on and while pressing the start button.
And I'm looking for what kind of reading?

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
You should see 12-13 volts with key off, slightly lower with key on. It should not drop much below 9.6 volts when operating the starter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts