Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i've been trying to start up the bike one last time before winter to change the oil, but there just isn't any ignition.

The most worrying part is that on my last try it was trying to start it when it slowly stopped trying to turn the pistons and all i heard was the kind of electrical sound, that is until the bike let out an explosive sound. The bike wasn't even that loud when it didn't have it's muffler and my ears are still ringing. I'm worried something might've broke, but at least i didn't see any leaks

I have no idea what happened and am too worried to try to start the bike again, especially if i might've broken something.

Any input is appreciated

·
Super Moderator
23,238 Posts
Here's a guess.

You have filled your exhaust with fuel while attempting to start the bike.

Now the bike has produced just enough spark to get combustion on one side and has ignited the fuel in the exhaust.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Check the oil for gas contamination if that is the case.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
No it would just be a "big bang" explosion - happened to me once on a Yamaha XJ600 - finished up blowing a nice hole in the right hand exhaust - scared the pants off me and left the ears ringing for a little while.

Manually rotate the engine before trying to start it again - use a jump pack if your battery is a little low..

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,213 Posts
Had that happen once in an '82 S10 pickup that was having carb trouble. It blew the end off the muffler and felt like it lifted the tail end of the truck. I wish I could have seen it from the outside.

R

·
Super Moderator
23,238 Posts
I had a bike do that about a month ago.

The issue, as in this case, is often a weak or erratic spark. Big bang in one sides exhaust. No harm done.

Coils from a GL 700 were fitted and now the bike {CB450} is an instant starter. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts