Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright i almost have given up hope on my pod filters, but nate dogg convinced me to go from bottom to top and get help from the forum.

here are the things i know. it has spark and it does fire. the idle is super rough to the point that there really isnt an idle just (lower) throttle. gramps says one cyl sounds like its firing before the other. i get skipping and popping every few seconds. basically its a mess. i dont have a tach, big problem for fixing my bike there.

i have a unique muffler, corvette 2 into 1 dual pipe

i am using emigo pod filters

placed 90/118 jets and cleaned the carbs

float hights in-sync

when i place some rags over the pods it pulls better but the delay between throttle is sooo bad (slow)

i am using cdi ignition, and the pluggs look black.

i have tried all the different adjustments i know; idle screw, air mixture screw. i have both climer and chiltons manuals on this bike. really nothing works to fix my problem.

help. cus it has me lost

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
These bikes and their CV carbs are so precisely tuned that any changes to the exhaust and especially the intake upsets them to no end.

You can rejet until you're blue in the face but the only solution is going to a different type of carb if you want to mod.

Changing anything in the intake or exhaust actually causes you to lose, not gain, power and mpg.

Take it back to stock or figure out some restrictor plates to put inline with the pod filters so the proper vacuum is maintained.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would have to agree with Marshall. I have yet to hear anyone say that they have gotten their CX to run perfectly with pods and stock carbs. Mine runs good enough to cruise around on, but still has some "issues".

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If you are able to, ya may just wanna try and fabricate some sort of valve, or gate on the back of your exhaust. Something you can adjust the back-pressure with. I have read of many people doing these "podz & muffler/s" packages, and having fits as to getting them back "up" to OEM standards, but haven't read of anyone trying to restrict the exhaust yet........Gee man,...It's ON,LY a what?......31 C.I. motor?.......However, If you wanted to put a blower or a turbo on it, THEN, you wouldn't have to restrict it AS much.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i have lots of problems
so at any rate of success i would have to get different carbs and do soo much more work right?

from what ive described in my original have i tryed to do everything i can without going major?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
If you are able to, ya may just wanna try and fabricate some sort of valve, or gate on the back of your exhaust. Something you can adjust the back-pressure with. I have read of many people doing these "podz & muffler/s" packages, and having fits as to getting them back "up" to OEM standards, but haven't read of anyone trying to restrict the exhaust yet........Gee man,...It's ON,LY a what?......31 C.I. motor?.......However, If you wanted to put a blower or a turbo on it, THEN, you wouldn't have to restrict it AS much.....

I suppose this is why all the "Turbo" owners have jettisoned the air intake and exhaust systems.

When you pull the baffles out of an exhaust and go to an unrestricted intake on a street bike. Although looking "Cool" without being purpose engineered this does nothing other than screw up performance and burn pistons.

Race engines running unrestricted intake Ex systs are not made to be reliable over time, nor perform at less than "Fast"... Fuel Economy is not usually considered and smooth idle (still able to run) is usually up in the RPMs at a point which would scare most of us back to our Baffled Airbox etc...

I have a strong feeling that many of these modded engines will be of the 10k miles between rebuilds type

just my .o2----- J

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I think your bike should idle ok no matter what type of filters you have.

If your bike will not idle you may have some other problem.

Have you thoroughly cleaned the carbs?

Are your valves adjusted correctly?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Race engines running unrestricted intake Ex systs are not made to be reliable over time, nor perform at less than "Fast".

They also totally rebuild those race engines after a few runs, sometimes after a single run

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Race engines also have the gearboxes,tyres etc changed to match the track/conditions and the fuel injection tuned to the rider's style and track.They are not expected to move off from traffic lights<grin>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts