Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned this bike for a year and ride almost every day. During the first month I had this same problem and it seemed to fire up after roll starting. This time I have had no luck with that. I have pulled the plugs and have no spark. I am wondering what to check next.

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
No spark now that sucks. I could be the kill switch. To test this there is a black wire with a white stripe that goes into the cdi under the seat. Disconnect it at the bullet connector and see if it starts then.

Also put your location in your profile.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Try what Blindstitch suggests,,, if that makes no difference then unplug the 3 yellow wire connector under the seat and try starting the bike with it unplugged. There were a couple of people on here not long before we switched forums that had bikes that would only start by pushing,, not with the starter, and it turned out to be problems in the charging circuit causing their problems.

http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/174035/ShowPost.aspx

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
These CDI systems ground thru the black/white wire to STOP. Disconnecting the connector on this wire effectively eliminates all the circuitry, key switch and kill switch from having a ground fault as the cause. If it runs disconnected, the problem is the aforementioned circuitry, if it still doesn't run, it is more likely to be the CDI box or engine ignition coils. This black/white wire bullet connector is the only wire with a connector within 8-10" of the CDI box, making it easy to identify conclusively. If the bike runs with this wire disconnected, it cannot be stopped by the key or kill switch until the wire is reconnected, so be careful!

If both plugs do not spark it is unlikely to be the external coils or their grounded mounting.

The dome covers are not reliable grounds due to the rubber gaskets. For testing, ground the plugs to something else, I like to use some copper wire to the frame myself. Before being sure there is no spark, be sure the plugs are well grounded when testing. Also, it is well accepted that rotating the engine without well grounded plugs can (not always) cause failures or degradation in the CDI electronics, always ground the plugs well when they are out of the engine and being tested.

It is likely that if you really do not get spark with well grounded plugs, your CDI box has moved on to the afterlife. Search IGNITEC on these forums for a recommended solution.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have owned this bike for a year and ride almost every day. During the first month I had this same problem and it seemed to fire up after roll starting. This time I have had no luck with that. I have pulled the plugs and have no spark. I am wondering what to check next.
Either a bad batery to start with or the regulator is not doing it's job.

Well just my thought. Sorry. The bike turns over? If the voltage is to low from the battery the bike will not start. Did you try a charger on the bike while trying to start?

When my battrey went low I could turn over the engin, but, there was not enough to spark.

My 1100 gs suzuki would never start if the voltage was at 10 volts or lower.the engin would turn ovr just fine.

My cx500c does the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts