Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Mine had the same problem, and after a few weeks of driving me nuts I pulled the old mufflers off and put a set of Harley Dyna's on it (thing they were 866 or something like that). These things are cheap as all new Harleys came with them and had them pulled from day one to put more obnoxious ones on. I got a set of basically new ones for $20.00. Requires a slight "tweak" on the existing mounting bracket, but they fit nice and sound even better, now I can hear myself think when Im riding lol

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Sportster cans work too.
I got a pair for mine and they bolted right on with no mods of mounting needed.
The only this is you will have to leave the fiber spacer out when attaching to the H box.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Is there a specific model/year that I should be looking for?
I'm putting a set of these on my GL500i trike conversion. Almost any Sportster or Dyna will work that doesn't have a crossover port on the front. Check for the type of mounting there are at least 3 different ones that I'm aware of. Mine have the two female mounting holes which will allow me to easily fabricate a bracket when I get to that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a pair of mufflers that were supposed to be from an 81 CX500 D. They were not.

I mangled the original brackets to fit the 'new' mufflers on, but in doing so, the rear pegs could not be secured properly. In fact, one shook right off.

The bike now runs at a more reasonable volume, but I think I'm going to try to find new mufflers and rear pegs so that I can drag along a passenger.

·
Registered
410 Posts
My GL500 has a set of Sportser mufflers and they work rather well. Just loud enough to hear the engine but not abusive to your or innocent bystanders ears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts