Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike sputtered then died on me while I was riding today. I checked the gas, and turned it on reserve anyways. It started right back up, but as soon as I let off the clutch fully, it would cut off again. It would do this sporadically. I'd get it going, then a few minutes later, died again.

I've read that it could be the neutral switch, or a bad ground for the switch.

Where is the ground for this? Or could it be something else?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The neutral and clutch switches are used in the starter solenoid circuit. They are not part of the ignition circuit.

You need to study the wiring diagram. They are both capable of grounding the solenoid independently due to the diode in the circuit.It is located in the fuse box on the steering head near the key.

If releasing the clutch (even in neutral?) kills the engine, there is some other electrical gremlin you need to sort out. Grounding the kill switch wire to the CDI is the only thing I can think of that should stop the engine.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I disconnected the Dark Blue and White wires - a 2 wire connector to the CDI box, and then the bike wouldn't fire up....so I assume that's not the blk/white wire you were referring to.

Where is this black/white wire that I disconnect? Does it go to the CDI box? I only saw 2 connectors that went to the CDI box - one was the blue and white wire connector, the other was a 6+ wire connector.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I think CXPHREAK was refering to the Blue/White wire connector (Bl/Wh) as opposed to Black/White (Bk/Wh) but im not at home so I cant look up the circuit

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
There are 3 wires coming from the CDI box aside from those that go to the plug connectors.

These lead out forward and have individual connectors to the left of the airbox snorkel intake.

The wires will be pink, yellow and black with a white tracer.

Try disconnecting the black/white wire.

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
The killswitch contacts can develop a conductive gunge so cleaning the killswitch itself will be the order of the day. Might as well do the other switches on the right control if you are in there. Do this over a clean white towel as there are small spring loaded parts in there.

Also check the wire for possible shorts.

That's assuming it's the killswitch, if nothing else you'll have eliminated it as a possible cause.

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
The killswitch contacts can develop a conductive gunge so cleaning the killswitch itself will be the order of the day. Might as well do the other switches on the right control if you are in there. Do this over a clean white towel as there are small spring loaded parts in there.

Drawing a picture of the internals and taking notes helps when it comes to reassembly.

Also check the wire for possible shorts.

That's assuming it's the killswitch, if nothing else you'll have eliminated it as a possible cause.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.