Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm new. Not only to these cool bikes, but to motorcycles in general. Today was my second ride on my newly acquired "82 CX500c, which was also my second ever ride on any motorcycle, and I have to say, I've been bit, HARD.

Not by the asphalt that many of you probably assumed I had been bitten by but rather, bitten by the motorcycling bug, and I'm glad it happened on this bike. Obviously I don't have much to compare it to but I think it says a lot when a complete greenhorn (my msf is this weekend) can hop onto this bike which is somewhat heavy compared to most bikes recommended for beginners, and just ride, feeling as if the bike knows where I want it to go. A very intuitive experience indeed.

Don't worry I'm not getting cocky, I'm fully suited up even when I'm going <20mph and aware that something could set me straight at any moment. However, I found during some lunch hour parking lot practice today, that I can stay upright while circling with the forks almost all the way at lock and slipping the clutch a little bit. Better than expected. Anyways.....

I was originally set on getting a Suzuki SV650, but ultimately I was looking for the most well cared for bike for the price and came across this one. The guy who sold this to me seemed to really love it and take care of it. I realize he was trying to sell it, but he had a box full of parts for it "just in case" like a rear motor gasket that he said he bought because honda was going to stop making it, plus I could just tell he loved the bike and took good care of it. He even referred me to this forum. I want to do the same (take good care of it), because I sense something special about this bike.

I've done plenty of searching on this site and the archived site so pls don't flame me with the typical "learn how to search" comments (although I don't really see much of that in this group), but I just wondered if anyone owned an "82c and had any model year specific advice as far as what to look for and address first. I already plan on checking out the fan asap and looking into retrofitting an electric one, especially when Marshallf3 releases his fan controller. I'm not very clear on whether my bike has CDI ignition or TAI or what. From what I read the "82's might have TAI, right? So is there anything I should check as far as the ignition goes? Also, I notice a "whirring" noise coming from the front of the motor (probably the clutch cover) only when idling in neutral. Is this normal clutch whirling noise? There is some surface rust on the outside of the rear shocks, plus they seem a lil soft so I'll probably be looking for an all around suspension upgrade (I'm around 200lbs), so I can be confident with a 2up situation. Any suspension recommendations would be greatly appreciated. (btw, where do I get the tool to set preload on those rears? I've got quite a bit of adjustment left on them)

Other than that I have not detected any other problems. The brake light was stuck on, but thanks to this forum I just adjusted the rear brake light switch a little bit and viola! Everything is cool!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to picking all of your brains to the point of annoyance in the very near future!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
a very warm welcome from sunny spain.i see you have been lurking in the midst,and pounced today.

nice looking bike as well

your bike,being an 82 does have the better TI electrics.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Welcome to the forum and your bike looks nice. As to the suspension upgrades, try partsnmore.com for the rear shocks.There prices are good and shipping is cheap compared to other suppliers. Try motorcycle warehouse for progressive fork springs, they are the cheapest I have found.The rear

shock adjustment tool would be in the tool kit if you got one with the bike. AGB-1

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Welcome aboard! That tool kit, if that's an 82 custom, is under the right side cover just below the seat. If it is there, you are right, the guy you got it from was indeed a caring sort and took care of it. Nice specimen!

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, I was wondering why I haven't seen any pictures of bikes with the same saddle bags..... how exciting!...... and intimidating;-) Now I'll be in trouble if I drop it. No pressure or anything, lol. The tool kit is there and ill set that preload as stiff as it goes. PO was a real nice guy and I looked through the members but didn't spot him. I will call him and ask though. I guess this means my goal will be to keep this bike as original and clean as possible. Yay, cloud!

Thanks for the warm welcome ppl, you will be hearing from me quite a bit.

@shep: nice list, thanks.

@AGB1:ill check that out, thanks.

Now off to msf..... hopefully I'll get all of my bike-dropping out of the way on their bike. :$

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Wow, I was wondering why I haven't seen any pictures of bikes with the same saddle bags..... how exciting!...... and intimidating;-) Now I'll be in trouble if I drop it.

I have a set and lets just say they were hard to find. I picked up a set of bigger ones for a good price so now I have to figure out what to do with them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow, I was wondering why I haven't seen any pictures of bikes with the same saddle bags..... how exciting!...... and intimidating;-) Now I'll be in trouble if I drop it. No pressure or anything, lol. The tool kit is there and ill set that preload as stiff as it goes. PO was a real nice guy and I looked through the members but didn't spot him. I will call him and ask though. I guess this means my goal will be to keep this bike as original and clean as possible. Yay, cloud!

Thanks for the warm welcome ppl, you will be hearing from me quite a bit.

@shep: nice list, thanks.

@AGB1:ill check that out, thanks.

Now off to msf..... hopefully I'll get all of my bike-dropping out of the way on their bike. :$

Welcome from across the bridge in Marin. Beautiful bike you got there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.