Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Turbo guys,

I've recently purchased an '83 650 custom that has a rusted clutch cable that needs replacing. I'm trying to figure out what the differences are between the 650C and 650T clutch cables. Apparently Honda has discontinued the clutch cable for my model and nobody has them unless they are on a bike, and I'm not gonna do a "midnight clutch cable heist" on fellow CXer.

If I could get someone to take a couple pictures of what the ends look like (last 5 inches or so of the cable on either end)

and also measure the entire length of the cable and the length of just the housing.

I've done so much research on this stupid cable it's driving me nuts!!

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi,

I'm sure you have already done this, but you can take your old cable to either your bike shop, or measure it and see what is available there or online. Most of the time it is only the

length of the cable that is different, and you should be able to find a cable either identical or just a bit longer than what you currently have. With my GL650 it came

with quite a bit longer cable than what was necessary, I just routed the cable a little differently and doing just fine with it.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
There's a $5.99 clutch cable on ebay now.

You may also want to check with after market cable companies, I'm sure that someone out there makes one.

If not, send yours to Motion Pro, they probably have one that is close enough.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the tips guys! I actually ran into a guy at a gas station today with a gl500 and the cable looked like it had the exact same hardware (end connections and other things that clutch cables have). I'm gonna see how long those are and maybe just get one of those? We'll see. But thanks for the options. I'll take it in to a couple local shops and see what they have in the way of cables that I can match up close. And I did look into motion pro. Looks like they do have the option to send it in, but it's 45$.
Great company though.

Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.