Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen what looks like shoe Goo on em but it is always noticeable..... N looks like crap ... .. mine r cracked ....... In one spot where they meet the intake ... Was hopeing to fix em up when I take my carbs off this week ... I tried reading through here but didn't find anything

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Well, people have done all sorts of things to fix them. Fill the cracks with goo, use rubber bike tubes over them, heatshrink tubing, electrical tape, electrical tape in a bottle (the liquid stuff). All of the methods will WORK, but the "looks" are dependent on both the method and how much time you take using a method to not make it look sloppy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, people have done all sorts of things to fix them. Fill the cracks with goo, use rubber bike tubes over them, heatshrink tubing, electrical tape, electrical tape in a bottle (the liquid stuff). All of the methods will WORK, but the "looks" are dependent on both the method and how much time you take using a method to not make it look sloppy.
Thank u ....... My bikes r cx650 c so I understand u can't get em anymore ? Figure I ought to do the best I can from what I have .... Thinking bout while I was in there installing a fuel filter n is there a major upgrade for petcocks ? Or r they all pretty much the same ? .................... Sry if these r rookie questions.... Cant find a way to search this site via phone

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thank u ....... My bikes r cx650 c so I understand u can't get em anymore ? Figure I ought to do the best I can from what I have .... Thinking bout while I was in there installing a fuel filter n is there a major upgrade for petcocks ? Or r they all pretty much the same ? .................... Sry if these r rookie questions.... Cant find a way to search this site via phone
Liquid electrical tape works, and is black

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Well, not sure what the 650 uses, but there are basically 2 types of petcocks, vacuum ones and gravity ones. The vacuum ones have the fuel outlet like the gravity ones, but also have two other nipples that feed a diaphram, one drops to the bottom of the bike and the other is a vacuum take off on the intake of the carb/manifold. The vacuum ones will not flow fuel even if open unless there is a vacuum to open them up (so if the engine dies the fuel flow stops).

Some of them you can take apart (have screws), where as mine had rivets (vacuum type). I had to drill out the rivets on mine to change the rubber bit inside (big rubber disk with 4 holes in it) because after sitting almost 30 years it was gummed up bad. I tapped small screws into the spots the rivets used to be (well ... one anyway, the other one broke so only one is holding it together and its still leak free and working).

You can use a normal gravity feed one in place of the vacuum ones, and some even "disable" the vacuum feed feature (think the plug the diaphram, not sure but its on this site somewhere lol). Hope that helps a bit, if not let us know and a really smart person will try to help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts