Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone make a recommendation on engine cleaning. I just picked up a nearly pristine GL500 SilverWing and have completed thorough cleaning of the bike. Just not the engine yet. I know some engines have issues with various cleaners. Used to use S-100 on my Shadow without problems. Recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
I'm not familiar with S-100, but if your bike is basically pristine to start with, any general car wash liquid would be plenty for regular road grunge. For heavier, or greasy/oily grime, a good thing to use is spray carb or brake cleaner first, then washing liquid and a good rinse.

If you have a power washer, do try to avoid super high force settings in some of the critical areas, like wiring or carbs.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I wouldn't use any solvent based cleaner, nor any of the strong citrus based or concentrated degreasers as you might dull the clear coat that abounds on these engines. In this case nothing beats Dawn dishwashing liquid, water and a soft brush.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thank you for the quick responses. She got a good polishing today. I look forward to the final touches on the engine tomorrow afternoon. I am looking to 'represent'. So far, I love this old machine. Looking forward to many many miles on her.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow what a beautiful bike. Since I started visiting this forum (just picked up an 83 cx650) I've been dreaming of finding a silverwing; the perfect bike for me.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the compliments. You guys have raised that bar, so I find there is much room for improvement in my bike. I plan on enjoying her for a very long time. Thank you again!

·
Registered
797 Posts
One of my all-time favorites is No. 7 Car Wash. It's powdered in a cardboard can. Originally made by Dupont, now sold by Rain Dance. It's very sudsy and non-aggressive to waxed finishes. I have not tried to wash an entire bike with it, although when I'm ready for that, I will. So far I've used it as a first step wash for the chrome that is being refurbished with no ill affects (I didn't expect any). This is an old school product. There may be better on the market now, although I love this stuff. What a beautiful GL you have!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.