Honda CX 500 Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Bob, that’s my guess, but you have to work hard to get to the turbo forum since the redo. In any event, you don’t want to use oil designed for low revving motors in a 9000 rpm pushrod motor. I have seen dozens of motors with ruined cams that I blame on improper oil. I have run numerous motors at very high rpm and have used oil that is designed for that load and the heat that goes with it. If you have a bike that always runs at 3000 rpm, buy diesel oil. The additive pack makes a difference for high rpm.

·
Super Moderator
14,122 Posts
Actually, a lot of us come to the forum via the What's New page, which shows new posts from all parts of the forum. This wouldn't be the first time someone became involved in a discussion without realizing it was in the Turbo section.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Actually, a lot of us come to the forum via the What's New page, which shows new posts from all parts of the forum. This wouldn't be the first time someone became involved in a discussion without realizing it was in the Turbo section.
This is exactly how I see posts in the turbo forum. I usually ignore them but not always. Give the poor guy a break. We all have said things we later regret. Newt’s been a positive and helpful forum member.

·
Registered
257 Posts
FWIW from this FNG......

The 1st "pot shot" was lobbed in post #24. I simply clarified my experience and beliefs. Afterwards, more shots were lobbed. I remained NEUTRAL until post #35. My first post in this discussion was about oil and clutch slippage. I believe clutch slip is more indication of a worn clutch plates or the clutch needing adjustment.

NO. I do not own a turbo, nor will I. Turbos are too much maintenance with low reliability. If you enjoy a turbo, then good for you. Many people like Harley, it suits them.

If the Moderators wish they can ban me. It will not deter my life nor do me any harm.

I normally ride an '81 CX500C acquired in 2011 with 43 Kmiles that had been rear-ended. I restored it from road to handlebar. It was ridden year round, until I was transferred out of country. Currently, the bike rests in storage with about 46 Kmiles waiting maintenance when the budget allows.

Its too bad discussions need to dissolve into the "mine is bigger than yours", then the "gang" attack begins. Far be it that a different view be discussed.

I closed my interaction in this thread by agreeing that CXTURBO has the expert knowledge. This particular post is due to the comments from Edinlr.

·
Super Moderator
20,808 Posts
I wander into the turbo threads from time to time coming from the what's new page .... as I have here.

Generally, since I own no turbos I consider I have nothing to contribute here, no knowledge to offer and leave.

The sense of community may have eroded on the main forum recently but allow this group theirs.

As a group I think you turbo fellers should nominate a moderator to represent your group.

·
Registered
598 Posts
NEWT - The poster was asking about oil for a 500T...Not sure why you would advise on oil considering you have no CXT knowledge. It is a completely different bike than the NA version. When boost of 21 PSI puts you in warp drive about 4500 RPM, it starts to get real interesting....

When you make comments like "too much maintenance with low reliability" it shows that you simply don't know what you are talking about... The CXT is wonderful and reliable once you understand its beauty and mechanics...

I welcome you to our group, and will help anyone with a CXT. I do it constantly with phone and email.

As far as learning - I'm open to learning at any point.. PIM gave a school in regulators very recently. I will probably adapt some of my thoughts going forward with knowledge he brought to the group. That is knowledge and expertise from a technical nature that he has first hand knowledge and shows the results.

As far as oil.. I've seen multiple CXT owners try to use conventional oil in the CXT with bad results. When I advise I always try to give the "sure thing" recommendation. I can promise you that Mobil Racing 4T is very good in the CXT. Clutch feel from a stop is excellent and shifting of gears is much smoother than other oils I've tried. I've seen very bad clutch feel from other oils. For me when advising someone it just isn't worth the risk of saving a few bucks. I hope you understand this. I want the CXT to be successful for others and that's why I try to stay on the safe side when advising...

Boost is very addictive! Once you get the boost bug, you'll never want to go back!!!!!

Long live the CXT!!!!!!

PK

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I have used synthetics for a long time and the one problem I have not had was any pitting on the cam, followers, or rockers. I have to think that using high grade oil has helped in this area. After an embarrassing clutch failure at Bonneville a few years ago, I recommend a spring upgrade. Either EBC or Barnett will do.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
After seeing all the pitted cams in my stash of spares, l'm thinking of going synthetic when I put the GL650 back together, and then the CX500 at its next oil change. The Quakerstate mentioned earlier appears to test well, and isn't much more costly than the cheap oil I've been using.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts