Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
The filter in the bottom of the air box was there just to keep any oil or water build up from sloshing around. Just clean it all out and don't worry about a replacement. All the stuff I've tried in the past has not lasted worth a crap. It all fell apart pretty quick.

HERE is a link on installing the cables. You'll see that putting them on before you put the carbs in is the easiest way.

More than likely you still have the original gaskets inside the Hbox. Pull them out first. That's why the pipe won't slid in all the way.

In order to get the pipes to go in far enough to seal up the split sides you'll need to cut off some of the front edge off the harley pipe. Ideally it would be best if you could weld up the splits and grind them down so there's no chance of them leaking.

If you have access to a metal lathe and a welder you could always make adapters like I do and weld them on the pipes. Then you can slip them right into the original style gaskets with NO chance of leaking at all.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
I've had those type of problems too. I went to a muffler shop and had them expand a new pipe that I cut new slots in and welded it back in after removing the old one. It's not too hard, just time consuming.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Yep, you got it now. But the extra brazed weld inside probably isn't letting it go in all they way either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.