Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Just a warning, be careful posting in the”want to buy” section. I am certain I was scammed just a few days ago by kelvin007, I was looking for a cx tank and he sent me a message with an email adress. I foolishly sent payment and now 5 days later haven’t heard a word from him. I disputed it with my credit card company so luckily I’ll get it back but I went against my better judgement because it was through the forum. I hate to say it but it’s no longer the closed, totally trustworthy community it used to be.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi all
Just a warning, be careful posting in the”want to buy” section. I am certain I was scammed just a few days ago by kelvin007, I was looking for a cx tank and he sent me a message with an email adress. I foolishly sent payment and now 5 days later haven’t heard a word from him. I disputed it with my credit card company so luckily I’ll get it back but I went against my better judgement because it was through the forum. I hate to say it but it’s no longer the closed, totally trustworthy community it used to be.
Thanks for the warning. It sucks to not be able to trust others. I already decided to not trust anything coming from a brand new member.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I was wondering the same thing as Doug, I've seen several new/newer members come on here offering parts for a good deal and my radar goes off. I'm not saying all people who do that are untrustworthy but the buyer takes all the risk by sending the funds before receiving or not receiving the goods. Its a crap shoot unfortunately when you send off funds in the hopes of receiving goods with no recourse.

·
Registered
205 Posts
All purchases through the internet are subject to scams.

NONE are excluded.

If you can't see and touch the item, then you are taking a risk when purchasing.

In short, cheaters and thieves are everywhere.

·
Super Moderator
20,596 Posts
I have had dealings with a number of members over the years. All with positive outcomes.

I guess I've been lucky.

A shortlist of these members is as follows. Many of these members are long inactive so I'll not bother with those.

Murray, Larry, Genesound, Fogelsvillejoe, Jhovel, JC, Rayman, Flyinelvis, VC3.

·
Registered
274 Posts
That's why I prefer eBay when possible. I was the victim of a scam awhile back on a pair of boots (yes, a too-good-to-be-true price, I should have known better), receiving a small pink rabbit keychain worth about six cents. (The scammers needed to send something to get a tracking number for my shipment.)

The back and forth was annoying because it was clearly a scam, but eBay refunded my payment... I guess they keep the money in a sort of holding or escrow account, and only release the funds once the transaction is complete. I spoke with a real live person on the phone and they were super helpful and made things right.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I pay with PayPal and don't worry about it. If PayPal won't support me, my credit card will. Every purchase is risky but there's very little reward without risk. New members or not. I don't want people to dismiss me if I'm new/newish to a community so I give everyone else the benefit of the doubt.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is exactly what I’m warning people about...zero posts and they “know” somebody with something that is for sale. Please be careful and diligent. Maybe we should start a sub forum just for posting good and bad sellers?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I've had pretty good luck here so far. (Paul, I'll mail you the check for the GL pillion. I won't forget!) But so far, I've only bought from people who have a track record here. Not people whose first post is to part out a nice bike.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
I think we're going to be seeing more of this, now that the scammers have discovered us.
I have less of a problem with someone who signs up to part out a bike. (Though I do dislike anyone parting out a NICE bike, given how many abused, neglected, and half-finished hacked bikes are out there to serve as donors.) At least they're posting on the public forum.
The problem lies with those creating new accounts solely to PM members with offers that aren't subject to public scrutiny.

Randall

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
CalGuns uses iTrader.
If someone had a zero or extremely low post count, they are generally ignored.
It also helps if you require multiple photographs before sending money.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I was contacted by someone who had 0 posts here and tried to get me to buy a pair of engine guards for I inflated price. Bad English too. When confronted the individual immediately lowered the price by half at which point I called him or her a douchebag scammer. Which did not discourage them from offering me the engine guards for even less hahaha.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Lotas good people here. Pay attention and deal with them.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts