Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks
I posted 2 weeks ago about the monoshock spec on my BBCR and said I would post pictures when I had finished my refurb of the bike.
i have fitted an 18” rear wheel, now normal comstars but painted black. The shock is now correct spec and from Hagon. I made up a rear fender from a spare front one and painted them grey but I think I prefer no fender. If I refit them I would paint them black. Tyres are Avon Road Rider, pretty sticky from what I can tell.
Here we go:

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Better with the fenders. It looks like it's intended to be ridden.

Randall

·
Registered
142 Posts
I usually like naked wheels on a mono shock conversion, but actually those fenders have something about them. Nice bike.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
497 Posts
I think the grey is not complementary to the build either. Black would be better than the grey but you may want to use photo editing software and try out different colors to help decide before you paint.

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your opinions. Reference the fenders, It’s so easy to spray a quick aerosol coat that I’ll do that in the next few days and refit them. Will post when done.
cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
out of interest, this is what I started with......

·
Registered
497 Posts
Quite the transformation!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I liked the grey better, but more importantly what do you think?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice build. The fenders look great in black!

My build also has a BBCR mono conversion and I'd love to know exactly what shock you've used??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for the reviews and, on reflection, I prefer the black and they are going to stay (for the moment anyway)

Hi CXPhreak
Here’s a better angle. Where the lower section of rear subframe is removed I welded over the hole and then drilled and tapped for a bolt. You can then see I have made a 90 degree bracket for support. The silencers are actually cheap eBay Chinese rubbish and not heavy, they also have no silencing! I have added fibreglass wrap around a baffle I fitted internally but I now think the airflow is too reduced so have ordered some proper ex-Harley silencers(£50 on eBay) which should have silencing without reduced airflow. I also have a set of Murray’s carbs coming to get the bloody thing performing better. At the moment I reckon a 250 could outperform it! Apparently the combination of Keihins and pod filters really never works. Will report back with Murray’s carbs and the Harley silencers in place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hi Sax
I wrote under “BBCR mono shock update April 2020” what I did but basically I got in touch with Dave at Hagon and he supplied it. Vast improvement on the BBCR crap Kawasaki ER6 shock. I’ve just ordered Hagon front fork springs too as the front bottoms out on any bump. How long have you had the bike(running)? I love it. It’s very light and agile, a real throw round the corners bike. For ‘popping out’ it’s my bike of choice every time, having said that my limit is about 20 miles as the seat mount gives real crotch numbness. Perhaps Murray’s carbs will improve smoothness.
all the best

·
Registered
497 Posts
Nice job! IMO black looks much better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks D-F
not sure Makenzie, I just ordered it from Hagon, you need to speak to Dave Dewell.
cheers Jonathan

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also like the black much better. They grey kinda looked like primer waiting on a color coat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts