710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Battery test conducted

Ignition off no load 12.33

ignition on 11.59

ignition on and just cranking 9.5 or a bit lower

running at 1100 rpm's 12.25 to 12.33

running and revving to 6000rpm 13.55

ok what do you guys think as i am going through all the steps here if the battery was bad or defective would this show symptoms of maybe the stator or ignition not working correctly

i unplugged the wires for the plugs to check stator but a little confused on checking the wires thanks for the past help new to using multimeters and checking these things but willing to learn i figured out how to check the battery now on to the other things

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
One Caveat. Honda specifies a certain meter for it's resistance measurements. either Sanwa or Kowa. These will have differing internal "loads" and will give different Ohm readings than Harbor Freight meters. I would not worry about that too much right now but once you get the concepts it's something to keep in mind.

found this http://www.genebitsystems.com/david/MotorcycleElectrical/index.htm here http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/16-quick-reference/

at the bottom of dave's page are links to other Electrical stuff... well written, good reading, nice pics.

·
Registered
269 Posts
A fully charged battery is expected to have 12.6-12.9 volts standing with no load.

if you have a battery that is showing less than 12.5v standing, no load. you likely have a bad battery.

a bad battery can also pull the charge voltage down a bit.

When my stator went out, I had a battery monitor on it.

when my key on, not running I was showing a 12.3 volts.

My cranking voltage never dropped lower than 10.5v

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Charge the battery first. Then check out the charging system. With key on the lights are causing some voltage drop and these are only 14AH batteries. 13.55V @ 6k is normal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts