Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my CX500 has had zero electrical / battery / charging system issues since I changed the stator & RR on it about 6 months ago. That is until today. Grrr. I went to start it up and got nothing from the start-button (headlight is bright / no dimming, no sounds, etc).

Assuming it was my questionable soldering job on my custom start-switch button, i tried touching the bare wires together and they sparked but there was no sound from the starter.

So I went to check the voltage on the battery with my volt meter and the battery was sparking on the volt meter.

All of this sparking has me afraid to hook the charger up to it now. Could I have an exposed wire touching the frame somewhere or something? Electrical is not my strong point.

·
Registered
279 Posts
There's no way a voltmeter set to the voltage setting should get a spark from a battery. But if you had it set to amps, it's basically a short circuit.

I would carefully set it to volts and try again. First make sure that it's still a voltmeter after the first encounter by touching a small battery (like a C cell).

·
Registered
890 Posts
And if it was set on resistance (ohms), then the meter could be fried. Sometimes there is a fuse inside the meter that will blow before damage occurs.

But it sounds like the battery is OK if the headlight is on. Sounding the horn is also a simple battery test. Is there 12 volts on the solenoid coil when you press the starter button?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts