Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a battery and noticed the gel sells are $100 and have a two year warranty. Conventional batteries have a one year warranty and cost $50. Question is, are they woth it??

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
yes spend the cash and get a good one i love my gel battery i will not own a acid type ever again

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with Lucky. My bike is a terrible starter thanks to some carb problems. When I had the acid battery it would occasionally run out of juice to turn the motor over hard enough. Since I've had my gel, no matter how long it takes the bike to get started, it always turns over well.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
New owner of a bright yellow Motobatt. So far so good. Never seems to run out of juice. Think I paid $72. Time will tell but as of now I'm ready to replace my other bike's battery with one of these.

·
Registered
458 Posts
+1 Love the Gel cell. Mount it sideways, upside down, where ever. Also has better shelf life in between starts. You won't be sorry.

Also get rid of overflow tube

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Just on a side note:All batteries will die quicker if your bike is hard to start.Well serviced balanced carbs/Good plugs/coils etc and a serviced starter motor are a MUST IMHO.

My bikes don't,"Crank" they start

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Just so you don't come to believe everybody likes them, I don't use them. In difficult applications we tried them at the plant, and didn't think they were any better than regular wet cell batteries, just more costly. Our local Interstate distributor also told me (when I was exchanging them for HD batteries) that many people have been disappointed with the claims for the gels and stopped buying them. Based on that, I don't use them in my vehicles. I'm not saying they aren't a little better, or as good, but for the extra money? Not me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't have a gell cell battery, but a friend put one in his dodge truck a couple of years ago. He told me that it cranked his engine over a lot faster when the temp got down to 40 below zero. I believe that he got a much better guarantee than they give on acid batteries. I'll be buying one for my next battery. My last acid battery cost me $90 from the Honda dealer and it came with a 90 day guarantee, At least it is a sealed battery so I don't have to worry about overflows or acid fumes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Big advantage of gel batteries is that they are plug-and-play. With a flooded lead acid battery you have to form it yourself. That is: Add acid, wait over an hour, then chage it at no more than 1.5 amps for several hours, let it rest for an hour, check voltage,If below 12.72v charge for four more hours, then install. If you don't follow this procedure the battery will have a diminished power and capacity and not last long. That's a lot of hassle and may be worth the extra $$$ to some people.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was running low on funds so I got a cheap flooded this time. Next time will get a gel. Had a gel battery in my mustang in Phoenix, and that thing did much better in the heat. Hopefully I get similar results in the cold.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bought a gel-cell. Actually got the best deal at Batteries Plus. It was $89, made in USA, two year warranty and had a $5 rebate. They also carried a one year gel for $75 made overseas.

Thanks for the comments.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts