Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Just bought an 81 GL 500 and want to make it my first bobber project. I have seen some pics that have given me some ideas but am curious about where the battery has been relocated to. It also appears in the pics that the bikes have a coil over mono shock where mine has an air mono shock. Are there any direct swaps. I figure the best people to ask for my first build are the ones who have done it. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Many have run the battery under the engine. I'm rethinking that idea but it works for now.

Others have gone with the smaller Lithium? battery pack. I know next to nothing about those except they are quite a bit smaller so could squeeze almost anywhere.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Saw this inquiry and here is my solution for you...

Allows placement of battery under the engine using the H-Box mounting points. My latest build utilized an AntiGravity battery, with the rectifier mounted on the left side, the starter solenoid mounted on the back. These are very high quality pieces and the fabrication is second to none.

Bot boxes are powder coated in satin black. Two sizes. Quoted size is the ID measurement:

Larger box is 2-7/8-W X 6-L X 3-D

Smaller box is 2-7/8-W X 4-3/4-L X 3-D.

$100/ea, plus shipping..
Here are a few other requested images from my for sale listing...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I believe my GL650 is the same set up as your GL500. I did a fair amount of modification on it. If you go with a Lithium batter, it's fairly easy to fab up a metal tray, and put it up under the seat, at least if you make yourself a café style seat. Mine pokes out a little under the rails, but is not noticeable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
a lot of the custom bikes are starting to use the new supercapacitors they are smaller and lighter than the lithium's

·
Registered
114 Posts
you know, I haven't personally used one but there are several YouTube videos where people use them in their vehicles, most of them are cars not motorcycles.

Screenshot 2019-06-08 at 12.27.05 PM.png

1 - 12 of 12 Posts