Makes it much clearer now with the pics. Actually like the idea of you also mounting your solenoid in the box as well which gives more room underneath the seat. If only my AGM was only as tiny and light as your lithium that would be great, but gotta make use with what I have. Great work and pics KD!Hi guys, Here are some additional pictures. May be overkill, but I always like seeing what someone has done, as well as getting a description. So here we go, I will narrate as we go through the pictures:
Here is a better shot of the drain holes I added before bending. They were dual purpose in that they drain, but also made it easier to bend the 14 gauge steel. I also like how they look right on the edge.
View attachment 20804
Next is a shot of the interior. I used the old solenoid mounting bracket and welded it to the interior wall of the box. This way it still has all the rubber mounting as it was originally. Also, I added pads for the battery to rest on. Added pads to all the sides. You can see I added a small divider wall between the battery compartment and the solenoid compartment. This way I could add a pad there so that the battery cannot move. Also added padding to the top lid. The battery is nice and tight, yet I can still get to the connections.
View attachment 20805
Here is a shot with the battery in the box. I used the SHORAI LFX14L2-BS12. It has the same specs as the original battery, but at a fraction of the size. I can be mounted in any direction. I have friends who have used this battery in several bikes and they have worked perfectly. It was a little spendy, I think I paid around $130-$140.
View attachment 20806
I also wanted to point out how I hinged the back side of the lid. When you see it on the bike, you will see that it could be tough to secure the top, so I decided to add 2 tabs on the back, and cut slits into the back of the box. this way I will be able to tilt the whole box down to make connections, and simply slide the back of the lid into those groves and then bolt the front of the lid on.
View attachment 20807 View attachment 20808
I welded a nut on the inside of the box for the front of the lid to bolt through.
View attachment 20810
OK, time to attach it to the bike. The tabs I left on the back of the box attach to the original rear H-box holes first so you can tilt down the box to make final connections.
View attachment 20811
And, finally, the box mounted. First shot is Left side, then right side, and then zoomed out so you can see it in context with the bike.
View attachment 20812 View attachment 20813 View attachment 20814
By the way, the interior dimensions of the box are 4.75" x 2.75" x 5.5". I hope this helps! And sorry for such a long reply. As a side note, you can see the rest of the bike in my post "Minnesota Winter Project" if you are interested.
Very valid point Murray. Especially with the weight of an AGM vs Lithium, I'm sure it would be bound to happen sooner than expected.c/e not be be a wet blanky but keep an eye on your battery box as you get some miles on it
the drilling of holes on the bend line promotes cracking during the bend and it lets the crack go from one down the line