Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
didnt know the age of the battery that came with the 82.so when it started to go flat within a few days of charging,so i bought another.

its still happening.started this morning ok,drove 5 miles to work,2 hours later,no start.

iv daves trouble shooting paperwork in front of me so...

when it wouldnt start.....12.8 v across the terminals.

2 hour slow charge........12.47 v across the terminals.

but it started no problem.

battery voltage while cranking[kill to off]...9.8 volts.

now its started ill go and check the volts at 2000 rpm

nb.green earth under seat clean and good.

anyone hazzard a guess

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
at 2800rpm the meter started across the terminals at 12.9 volts quickly rising[over one minute] gradually to 14.2v and held fast

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Check out the 3 yellow wire connection from the engine. Since the bike feeds off the battery first maybe it isn't replenishing itself right away. I would also check the headlight bulb to see if the correct one is in there. Someone could have slid in a 100watt.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check out the 3 yellow wire connection from the engine. Since the bike feeds off the battery first maybe it isn't replenishing itself right away. I would also check the headlight bulb to see if the correct one is in there. Someone could have slid in a 100watt.
thks don,the head light is fine,i replaced the bulb last winter.

if the stator was bad,would i get 14 plus volts at 3k rpm

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put a 12v bulb in circuit at the battery as if you were testing current e.g in series.With the ignition off the bulb should NOT glow.If it does you have a short bleeding current out of the battery.

Also yellow wire stator check,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30

HTH
thanks again shep,ill give that a try,thats what it feels like is happening.

for now i took the battery off of sunflower seed and used that.

sodslaw,the minute i get an issue,iv no internet at home or work

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
thks don,the head light is fine,i replaced the bulb last winter.

if the stator was bad,would i get 14 plus volts at 3k rpm

Probably dying a bit but not dead. Do you have a meter you can hook up on the bike and read as you go to see if it jumps around or sticks to one place?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would def try and monitor charging system voltage while riding as stated above. Where did you get your new battery from? I went through 2 batteries on my 76 gl 1000 project because they were from walmart, the ones you need to fill with the acid. My first one died because I didnt charge it long enough after filling. Its got to be a bad battery, bad charging system, or excessive draw. Just need to rule out each cause one at a time.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Put a 12v bulb in circuit at the battery as if you were testing current e.g in series.With the ignition off the bulb should NOT glow.If it does you have a short bleeding current out of the battery.

Also yellow wire stator check,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30

HTH
thanks don,shep,tdn and david.following dave f,s trouble shooting page i went through the checks,all checked out fine.on his page he issues a warning about new batteries.........

saturday night i ended up pinching the battery of sunflower and put it on.had 150 miles of riding yesterday,the bike started instant every time , and again this morning to come to work.

bottom line....one brand new faulty battery.

so as dave,f said....dont assume a new battery is a good battery

thanks again,im back on the road

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So what kind of brand new non faulty battery did you get?
from the uk

MF CB14L-A2.

its funny don,prior to my post above,shep emailed me,saying .....if you bought an MF battery....they are shi$.....my mate went through[as above]

oh well,onwards and upwards.

the battery i have on now[from sunflower] does not crank the bike,its just instant ignition

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
from the uk

MF CB14L-A2.

its funny don,prior to my post above,shep emailed me,saying .....if you bought an MF battery....they are shi$.....my mate went through[as above]

oh well,onwards and upwards.

the battery i have on now[from sunflower] does not crank the bike,its just instant ignition

The battery is a CB14LA2 190 CCA Dynavolt,

http://www.dynavolt.co.uk/fastmovers.aspx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.