Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1980 CX500
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends, I ordered this battery... LiFe-4L Lithium Ferro-Phosphate Battery and it clearly states that it doesn't need a lithium specific reg rec. Now that it's on the way I'm starting to think I should have ordered the reg rec that goes with it to be safe. They make a big deal about the safety of this battery and that it can't be overcharged but I can't find any reviews. Has anyone else ever used this battery with the stock reg rectifier? I'll be doing a build with all the parts on this website this winter unless someone gives me a reason not to. Thanks!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have never used that battery, but if I were going to dump time and money in a build, I would buy a new rectifier. Cheap insurance.

Reactions: Notilloc

·
Super Moderator
5,891 Posts
Does the battery have on-board charge/discharge management and control?

If not, I'd steer clear. Li batteries have nasty tendencies.

Good Luck.
Newt from the OP's link.
Lithium Ferro Phosphate Battery with built in battery management system. This battery is compact and very light weight but most importantly it is powerful.

Powerful - The Ferro Phosphate composition means that this battery has greater power density as compared to Lithium Ion which means it can start whatever bike you need it to.
Safe - This is also a much safer battery with the built in battery management system. You can't overcharge it and it will not catch on fire.
Smart - This can be used with any regulator rectifier including the stock one on your bike. There is even a built in power display you can reference!
Lightweight - Compact size and 2/3 the weight of a comparable lithium ion battery
Value - We include the charger, the boots, and even an auxiliary port for whatever you wish to use.
Durable - This battery has no memory which means you can recharge it from completely flat with no risk of permanent damage.
Specifics:

H 3.6" 92mm W 2.75"70mm L 4.45" 113mm

FEATURES

12 volts, 155 cranking amps, 625 grams
Digital battery voltage gauge
Includes aux power plug & battery storage charger
Connectors, boots, hardware
1 year replacement warranty

So the battery has a built in battery management system. I'd be concerned that it is only 155 cranking amps. Typical batteries for these bikes have over 200 CCA.

Reactions: Notilloc

·
Registered
1980 CX500
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Newt from the OP's link.
Lithium Ferro Phosphate Battery with built in battery management system. This battery is compact and very light weight but most importantly it is powerful.

Powerful - The Ferro Phosphate composition means that this battery has greater power density as compared to Lithium Ion which means it can start whatever bike you need it to.
Safe - This is also a much safer battery with the built in battery management system. You can't overcharge it and it will not catch on fire.
Smart - This can be used with any regulator rectifier including the stock one on your bike. There is even a built in power display you can reference!
Lightweight - Compact size and 2/3 the weight of a comparable lithium ion battery
Value - We include the charger, the boots, and even an auxiliary port for whatever you wish to use.
Durable - This battery has no memory which means you can recharge it from completely flat with no risk of permanent damage.
Specifics:

H 3.6" 92mm W 2.75"70mm L 4.45" 113mm

FEATURES

12 volts, 155 cranking amps, 625 grams
Digital battery voltage gauge
Includes aux power plug & battery storage charger
Connectors, boots, hardware
1 year replacement warranty

So the battery has a built in battery management system. I'd be concerned that it is only 155 cranking amps. Typical batteries for these bikes have over 200 CCA.
Thanks for this, and the company got back to me and confirmed this today as well.
My understanding of CCAs is that lithium batteries don't perform well in cold and have a low cca compared to lead acid/agm, but perform very well in normal operating temps. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
That's interesting, Ive been seeing YT videos that say the exact opposite. The LiFePO4 (if that is what you are referring to), from what i've heard and read have LESS power density than Li-ion of equal size. The big pro for LiFePO4 is that it is less prone to catching on fire and exploding than the Li-ion.

·
Registered
1980 CX500
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Battery works great! Started right up with a solenoid jump. For some reason my brand new 3 week old $9 Amazon starter solenoid decided to quit working 🤣. Looks like I'll be getting the one they sell with this battery, should be a nice upgrade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts