Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I bought a somewhat basket case CX500 Custom. Looked mostly intact, minus a battery and some rust on the seat pan. I charged up a 14LA2 battery (numbers might be diff, not sure) but it is the right battery. I put it in the battery holder, can easily see the positive and negative wires and connected them. BUT THEN:

There is this big wire coming from the starter I think that goes up under the battery. DOES IT connect to the starter relay? Is it connected to the left connection screw under the rubber cover?

Also, there is a lone red wire just hanging there. It is smaller in thickness and connects to the starter relay, but the other side is clipped and has no connector, just a cut wire end. Where does this go? The wiring diagram says there is a red wire going from the starter relay to one of the connectors. There is an open gap in one of the plastic connections close by. Could this be what the wire connects into? And do I have to add a 12V fuse between the red wire and the connector inlet? I think it is gone or missing....

Thanks for any help...

Mark

·
Registered
835 Posts
There is a long black wire coming up from under the back of the frame This is the GROUND wire, and it is the ONLY lead connected to the Negative terminal - directly to the battery. There is a short Red wire coming from the starter relay - It is the ONLY lead connected to the Positive side of the battery.

Any other wires, you should be inspecting the wire chart in a CX manual before you continue. The lead from your starter motor will come up from the starter, and connect to the starter terminal on the starter relay.

If you don't have one, you should be getting a manual - either downloaded from Blindstitch's signature line, or you can usually find printed manuals on Ebay.

·
Registered
948 Posts
FYI, I pulled my battery last weekend to get to the airbox and found some extra leads coming from the battery terminals. They appear to be a quick hookup for an external trickle charger. They will not be reinstalled.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Sarnia is right, you should find a source for a manual.

On my GL there is a wire coming from the starter and runs under the battery box to the starter relay. However, the negative cable from the battery runs off in the same direction towards the starter, so you need to be sure which wire is which. I'm not real sure about the other wire to which you are referring, thus the recommendation to find a manual.

Fib

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
the positive wire in Sarnia,s post might well be black,but it is still obviously a much heavier wire,capable of carrying high loads.just so your not confused over the colors

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah,

I downloaded a CX500 C manual from evanfallcycles.com or something. Is that the Custom (C)?? Anyhow, the downloaded pdfs don't have the wiring diagrams, but I did a google search and found one.

I connected the thick red wire to the righ of the battery to the positive terminal. This HAS to be the positive terminal. No question.

I reconnected the more vertical thick black wire on the left side of the battery. I figure this HAS to be the ground wire. Connected it to negative side.

The long horizontal wire running under the battery must be the connection for the starter relay as you are saying. Does this connect to the left starter relay terminal under the boot? Thats what it loks like in the manual drawing. Maybe the positive terminal under the boot has a + sign....I will check.

Now for that silly lower guage red wire coming off the starter relay that goes to nothing. The CX500 wiring diagram I downloaded shows a red wire going to a fuse (12 volt I assume), then to a close by connector (plastic) does this sound right?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe a picture of your working '82 CX500 Custom for the battery holder area? Please??? If you can't no worries...just gotta figure out where that little red wire goes. So far it is killing the entire electrical circuit function. WHY oh WHY would someone mess with that, y'know? I just bought the bike 2 days ago....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I found this online. Looks to be the right one I think.

http://australiancx.asn.au/files/1982_CX500_Wiring_Diagram.jpg

Shows a smaller red wire ( the only R wire going to a 30 amp fuse (which is GONE on my bike, but I can get at autozone I think) and then into the close by plastic quick connect...the one with a red/white wire and a RED wire coming out of it on the other side...

I know not having this fuse connection pretty much killed the electrical system on my older Honda XL100, so I think this is why nothing is happening even though batt is connected now.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,075 Posts
I downloaded a CX500 C manual from evanfallcycles.com or something.
If it's the site I'm thinking of, he grabbed the FSM from this site (or mine before it moved over here), but it's not complete. Download it from the link in Blindstitch's sig line, and be sure to check the addendum for your year and model. There are different wiring and routing diagrams for each. What year Custom do you have, by the way?

EDIT: (Oops! '82 Missed it in the thread title.)

Since no one has said it yet, please add your location to your profile and your year and model to your signature line. It will help us know the context of your questions, and there might be another member near you to offer a second set of eyes.

Now for that silly lower gauge red wire coming off the starter relay that goes to nothing. The CX500 wiring diagram I downloaded shows a red wire going to a fuse (12 volt I assume), then to a close by connector (plastic) does this sound right?
You're missing your main fuse. Everything except ignition and starting goes through that fuse. Get a 20amp blade-fuse holder. It'd be good to do that conversion, even if the original was intact.

This might help. Here is my '78 Standard before the fuse conversion.

This shows the stock fuse in relation to the connector block.

This is post-conversion.

Hope that helps.

R

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
CX500ridr,

Lots of good info can be had in General Discussion/Quick Reference, which Blindstich started (thanks Blindstitch).

Fib

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good stuff, guys! Thanks Randall, and my dead CX500 thanks you. Hopefully I can upload a pic of my mess to compare, but I think you are onto something. Your pics match what I am seeing on the wiring schematic, the red splitting into red which goes to fuse and then to conector BESIDE a red and white which goes just to the connector. Yup

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This would also explain why my '82 showed no sign of life after hooking up the battery...I hope!

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,075 Posts
Does the TI '82 have the same fuse/relay block as the 78, or is it more like a GL?
I posted the pictures before I realized he had an '82.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's a GL-style fusible link. I think just the '78 and '79 had a vacuum fuse. Surf-or-Ski's '80(?) Custom is the later style.

At least on the '80, the rest of the electrical block is more like my CX than the GL. Not sure about the '82, but being TI, I suspect is similar to the GL.

R

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah that was it. Some previous owner had pulled the fuse feeder wire out of the metal crimp connector that was attached to the screw. After looking at the pictures it was RIGHT there under the starter relay, a black box thing in a clamp with a red and red/white wire exiting out of its right side and the empty connector on the left side. I stripped the red wire a bit on the end and pushed it back into the crimp end, then re-crushed it.

I also screwed the long horizontal wire back to the left knob screw under the starter relay boot, and added a nut which was missing. It seemed like it must be the positive one because the wire woulda been tricky to pull to the right screw.

So I re-hooked up the positive and negative terminals, and voila...the console lights came on! SWEEET....!

Heck then I tried the turn signals, the left front is destroyed, but the back one lit and just stayed on. I expected that. So I did the right signals. Tick tock tick tock....YES! The relay is okay!

So I decided to crank it. She cranked really well. No start however, so I pulled the left plug and put some starting fluid down there. Recranked and pa-boom pa-boom for a second until the starter fluid was gone. COOL

I didn't wanna pull the right plug because it has the jury rigged spark plug boot clip (made out of some wire wrapped around the screw in thing that the plug top goes into) ANYBODY know where I can buy a new boot for a decent price? I might just try this dudes suggestion on a ninja forum. He said just use a paperclip and bend it into the shape of the old clip. The problem with the wire solution I have right now is that you only get one shot. If you remove the boot from the plug, this bends the wire (its too malleable) and bam....no spark plug grip anymore.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Not sure about cheap, but I found a new one here. I also use Babbitts.com and a couple of other online sources. You might find one on ebay for cheaper, but I think on ebay you would be purchasing coils and all, not just the boot.

Fib

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Until you get the cap fixed, try spraying the starting fluid into the air filter snorkel. A one second burst should be enough to let it run for several seconds. Don't overdo it.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
Not sure if this will help or not, but this is what my 82 CX500 Custom battery side looked like and I know it was stock set up.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.