Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So found this beauty on craigslist guy said he got it from a friend who pulled it from a barn that collapsed. (The guy tossed it to me for a few bucks never made a bill of sale. Checked the vin online did not say it was reported stolen asked the local police if they could run the vin, but they wanted to send a officer to my house to run it after the guy dropped it off. Trying to figure if I can get this thing registered or should I just part it. heard you could get registration from Vermont (Anyone know what I should do) I would like to get it up and running and customize it, but I am not sure if it is worth it.) When I bought it it had a leather bag as a seat like someones failed cafe project... black spray paint all over the frame and engine aftermarket signals were all smashed bike. might have been dropped a few times standing, but looks like no major damage. No keys to start it nor do I feel like it would start. not sure how long it has been sitting. the fuel tank is missing the cap and looked like there was slight rust in the tank as there was also a fuel filter. What are your thoughts guys and girls? I would love to dive in and start customizing it and get it running again. Though I know I am stepping in over my head with this project, but I feel determined! :icon_thumbright:

Please ignore the mess in the garage...
Feel free to request further pictures
Too much rust?
Next to it is a 75 400f project I picked up as well which has a bottomed out piston that I need to go through the whole engine and clean out metal shavings...(worth the salvage idk) Otherwise it has a really clean frame, but no title. (dont ask what I was thinking investing in non titled motorcycles (basically handed to me) (I hope there is a way to title or register them))
Last picture is of my stock 81 GL500 well I cut the shield and smoked it (need to update the status on current bike ownership. lol)​
Selling air box and rear break light for the GL500
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Spoke
Speedometer Gauge Tachometer Measuring instrument Vehicle
Auto part Headlamp Automotive lighting Leg Automotive exterior
Footwear Bumper Shoe Metal
Pipe Auto part Automotive exterior Metal Rust
Auto part Fuel line Engine Pipe Vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Auto part Tire
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Chopper
Land vehicle Vehicle Bicycle Cycling Transport

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No comment?

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Fuel filter looks like it is in backwards although that is minor. Find out if you can get it legal before you worry about anything else.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,456 Posts
That will take a bit of cleaning, but should be recoverable. Is the crank free?

R

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Need to double check the cable but it looks fine, so should be correct. Yeah I might need to get that officer to look over it, but I feel like they would just take it since there is no title.... :S
I read you just send in the paper work to Vermont and they send you a registration back as long as the bike is older than 15yrs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as it was filtering fuel... lol
Making sure it is legal is best before putting money into a project.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't tried turning it yet. I need to pop the caps and look inside a bit. (sad part is it is out side under a tarp I get to it when I can) Seems to shift through gears, but does not feel as clean as my stock GL

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
With a little TLC and a lots of Patience and a Few Dollors More , any Honda vee twin can be turned into a functional object of beauty :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Need to double check the cable but it looks fine, so should be correct. Yeah I might need to get that officer to look over it, but I feel like they would just take it since there is no title.... :S
I read you just send in the paper work to Vermont and they send you a registration back as long as the bike is older than 15yrs.
15 years and less than 300 cc's.

·
Registered
382 Posts
International Title Service has a way. so do wrecking yards. here in AK you can claim a vehicle that has been abandoned more than 6 months on your property... there is paperwork that is similar to what the wreckers do, it involves contacting the last registered owner. all the above methods are void if the bike is stolen.

edit: I have used both ITS and the abandoned vehicle route

1 - 11 of 11 Posts