Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Came across these this last week and could not pass up

1) 1979 Honda CBX with 6500 miles

DSC00879_zpsfb57e746.jpg Photo by johnste1960 | Photobucket
DSC00879_zpsfb57e746.jpg Photo by johnste1960 | Photobucket

2) 1983 Honda 650 Turbo with 13500 miles

_573_zps026bb501.jpg Photo by johnste1960 | Photobucket
_572_zps02c2675f.jpg Photo by johnste1960 | Photobucket

The CBX is in my possession. Looks nice, but carbs are really gummed up bad and needs some rear brake work

The 650T I am to pick up Sunday if all goes well. Supposedly ran when stored, but will find out more details when I go to pick her up.

:cool:

Reactions: troutbum and Lacher

·
Registered
189 Posts
That turbo looks good.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good find.... Want to sell the CBX as is???
Nah, I will be keeping these awhile. Will take a little work to get the CBX going but hoping for the most part its just the carbs although is did spot a few more things in brakework and some body work on the rear tail fairing. I am toying with doing the carbs myself, But given the condition of the carbs, I may just send them in and have them done professionally. I have done a few carbs, but nothing like this. I also have about 2-3 bikes in process so my time is a little short sided. Fun Stuff though.

·
Registered
24,450 Posts
let me give you a big warning

to strip the cbx carbs you need to take the butterflys all out i have over the last 30 odd years fixed more bikes

that have eaten a carb butterfly screw that you can imagine if you decide to ry these your self be aware of this and make sure you re stake

the screws properly

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice! Does the turbo have air base tags on the front lower fender?
yes it does

The funny thing is actually they both do. Not the same person though. Both bikes were owned at one time by someone in the military. THe CBX I picked up from a guy who knew it was a few housed down from him. He remembered the young man having it from a time when he was younger and then went off tot the military and stored it at his sisters house. His sister sold the house and the know owners of the house just let the guy keept he bike there all these years.

The guy came back to town and did not even go over to look at it. That was when his old neighbor bought it from him and put it on craigslist. I saw the add within a day that it was listed.

I will find out more on the 650 turbo when I go down to pick it up on Sunday.

JPS

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
let me give you a big warning

to strip the cbx carbs you need to take the butterflys all out i have over the last 30 odd years fixed more bikes

that have eaten a carb butterfly screw that you can imagine if you decide to ry these your self be aware of this and make sure you re stake

the screws properly

THe more I read up on these things, the more Iam thinking I am going to send them into a professional. I am looking at Mike Nixon if you know him, Seems to be pretty well known when it comes to CBX carbs.

If these needed a minor cleaning, I would give it a shot. RIght now they seem really gummed up. Cannot even turn the throttle. THey Seem pretty expensive to have done, but given the shape they are in and the cost of parts I have been seeing to do a good job, the price does not seem all that bad. (about $800).

Besides, I just got to many other projects going on. GLad to know you have some knowledge on these. I may be hitting you up with questions later, LOL.

THanks for the advise. Keep it coming!!!!!

JPS

·
Registered
24,450 Posts
mikes work speaks for itself

i have done 4 sets of those carbs recently and not to restoration standards i might add just to "nice looking" and fully functional

they have taken me about 20-23 hrs each including 1-2 hrs on my test bike to fiddle with

they are a lot of work and its not easy to get them apart

with the end value of the bike continuing to climb i highly recommend sending the carbs to mike having him do them will make your restore much easier

and add value to your bike

in case you dont have it

Welcome to cbxcarbs.com!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update on the 650 turbo.

In the end I did not get it.

I initially contacted the seller about the bike through ebay info provided to ask some detailed questions. Sounded good. the opening bid price and buy it now were so darn close, I was struggling with what to do. If I make an opening bid, the next person will just do the buy it now, LOL as that is what I would do. It got late and I decided to go to bed. Next morning I decided to BUY IT NOW. when I went back on line the listing was terminated with 0 bids. A couple days later, I decided to call the seller to see what the scoop was, ya just never know. It turns out he pulled it off of ebay to sell offline. I asked if he had it listed anywhere else and he said no. He said some person out west was going to wire him the money. I told him if the deal fell through to call me.

I thought that was the end of that, as I have had this a couple times and nothing ever falls through:)

Couple weeks later I get a call from the guy, Right after I bought the CBX (with the money I was going to use to buy the turbo, LOL). Turns out he received some money in the first payment but was suppose to get the rest but had not received anything in two or three attempts over a two week period. He asked if I was still interested and I said yes. I told him I would go to the bank (Friday) get his cash, and be down sunday to pick it up.

I went to the bank got the cash. When I got home, , called him and told him I had the cash, and would be down to pick it up. Since it was the holiday weekend, he was not available until sunday night.

On Sunday, I got the truck packed and attached the trailer and was jut about to jump in and drive down, just a couple hours, when I got a call from the seller. He said another partial payment from the first seller came through and that he felt bad and did not want to renig on the first seller.

That was that.

I reported him to ebay for advertising on ebay and making a sale outside of ebay which is an ebay policy violation.

Reactions: orcish

·
Registered
44 Posts
Update on the 650 turbo.
I reported him to ebay for advertising on ebay and making a sale outside of ebay which is an ebay policy violation.
It's highly unlikely ebay will do anything about it. Sad, but true. Ebay policy gets violated and reported with nothing resolved. There is a guy in Ohio that has been nailed for shill bidding/screwing his cutsomers by sending broken parts in lieu of what was advertised, etc etc. He just keeps changing his name. Started as Doorman, was last known as supportourtroops

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nah, I will be keeping these awhile. Will take a little work to get the CBX going but hoping for the most part its just the carbs although is did spot a few more things in brakework and some body work on the rear tail fairing. I am toying with doing the carbs myself, But given the condition of the carbs, I may just send them in and have them done professionally. I have done a few carbs, but nothing like this. I also have about 2-3 bikes in process so my time is a little short sided. Fun Stuff though.
If you need any help with cbx I might be able to help as I used to do all the work on mine and all my buddy's X's back in 80's

Dick

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Sorry you missed the 650, but glad you got the CBX. As a collector's item, the CBX has a lot more potential, plus they are just a lot of fun. I remember my local dealer having a few new ones about 1985 and I passed on those for bikes that were far less collectable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts