Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look what followed me home from the auction at Barber yesterday. I had zero intention of getting another bike, but this one had been in storage at Barber for a number of years and came with all new bodywork. The motor is showroom new looking and better than any school bike I have bought or seen. Very low mileage. When done this bike will be nicer than the one Barber has on display at the museum.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood Automotive design
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Wow! Nice score. I didn't know Barber had auctions, is that an annual thing or just every once in a while?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! Nice score. I didn't know Barber had auctions, is that an annual thing or just every once in a while?
They do a Bonham's auction sometimes, but I got the impression this was to clear the vault of some of the bikes they had decided not to build. This bike was very nice besides some fairing damage, but the extra parts were worth over $5000 at list price, which is now unobtanium from anywhere. I have never seen a brand new 650 tank anywhere. The bolts and fasteners on the bike look almost showroom new. I am not into show bikes, but when I quit building race bikes I may have to give it a try.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice mind of I ask how much? No idea the value on ones in really good condition hopefully worth what I paid for mine

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice mind of I ask how much? No idea the value on ones in really good condition hopefully worth what I paid for mine

Price was less than half of the last three school bike auctions over the last couple months and perfectly stored.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sound like s great deal I just hope I didn't overpay too much for mine, it's not s school bike but not cheap

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sound like s great deal I just hope I didn't overpay too much for mine, it's not s school bike but not cheap

The really nice 650s will cost $8000+. The three recent $10,000 school bikes went to the other extremes. If the fasteners look bad that tells me a lot about the bike, kind of like looking at throttle and brake pedals in a car. I am not really sure how to value a restored bike vs a survivor. I do not appreciate, or even trust a bike that has been repainted and the speedo rolled back to zero and sold as new. My question is why did it have to be repainted? Was it just dropped, or was there a bad spill?

·
Registered
335 Posts
A many that were made and the fact that they were so advanced, it would seem to me that there values would be much higher than they are. Some CX cafes are sold for that much.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,004 Posts
A many that were made and the fact that they were so advanced, it would seem to me that there values would be much higher than they are. Some CX cafes are sold for that much.
It all depends on what's in fashion. The twisted twins, and the Turbos in particular, are still underrated as classic bikes.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
👍

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gratz on the find Ed! This could be the nicest looker you have had yet :) Good to hear from you again as well- Pim has missed you.
Hi Elrod, I was thinking of you looking at these clean fasteners… no, I won’t comment again about polishing your nuts.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
here we go again... lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts