Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm not getting the necessary 14V to my battery. With the battery not installed i get 8v out of the rectifier/regulator. It is running the headlight so I'm not worried about running with no battery and doing damage to the electrical system. I disconnected the regulator and revved the bike and got 40Vac between all three stator wires. Is this enough voltage? With the regulator/rectifier installed it goes down to about 12VAC between all three of the yellow stator wires.

BTW its a 1980 CX500 Deluxe

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please take a few minutes to edit your profile to include your location and to edit your signature to show your bike's year and model.

The charging system needs a battery connected to function properly. The battery acts like a large capacitor and stabilizes the charging system output.

Those voltage readings do not necessarily sound bad, but this information is not sufficient by itself to diagnose the problem. See this writeup for more information.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Check that there is no continuity between the 3 yellows from the motor to the frame or the neg bat terminal. Then make sure that there is 1 ohm or less resistance between each of the 3 yellows from the motor to each other.I have a feeling that your stator is bad, or you have a ground problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With a battery hooked up it is at battery voltage and no higher. I checked and none of the 3 stator coils are shorted to the frame. The resistance of each coil seems fine, a few ohms or so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.