Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Bad revs! Very frustrating!

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Xsonz 
#1 ·
After doing a bunch of things here and there (including buying another pair of carburetors) I've finally got the bike back together, and while every thing I do improves it, it still gets that annoying problem where if I open the throttle too much, the revs drop and I have to back the throttle back to a position that it will give power. I've tested my stator and my CDI with a multimeter, as well as my coils and every other electronic component that could effect it. While its possible I didint check something correctly, everything I observed seemed in perfect working order. Some carb work later I've solved my leaking bowl problem and it runs better than ever, but its still not running right. Ill take it out and it will rev perfectly, i could hit 9k rpms in 4th gear if I wanted to and the bike wouldn't break a sweat. Then, in the same run later, Ill open it up while cruising and the revs will slowely drop. Poorly adjusted fuel mixture screws? Not synched carbs? I'm really hoping that's all it is, but I don't know if that's a problem I would get from that.

I dont think its something electrical because its intermittent, I would think if something like a stator was bad, it would nearly always fail. Not just sometimes.

#3 ·
when i mixed gas in the tank while i was getting the rust out, the pressure would build and when i popped the cap it would send out gas vapor spraying out. I figured it was normal so I havent put much thought into it. How would I check a bad cap vent?

The petcock I have has a strainer lining the tube, and my filter is one of those lawn mower filters made for "vehicles without fuel pumps". its a cylinder that collects the gas and there is a strainer in the center. Its not like my normal lawn mower filters that are cone shaped. I have an image of it below, I've never seen one like it before on a motorcycle. Product

#4 ·
Just to say: The old CDI could be at fault when it gets hot.
Mine always started good, then the trouble begins.
It still always got me home. I knew how to work it.

#5 ·
Yamaha carries a nice 90 degree filter that makes that turn to the carbs nicely.

#7 ·
My old CDI did that to me.
I had done may other things. The CDI on worm up dlied one day not long ago.
Installed the ignitech, oh boy, like a new bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.