Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Yesterday I cleaned my carbs in the sonic cleaner, which went fine. Ended up finishing that about 8:30pm, so figured I'd get my headlamp and go put it back together. And hour later the bike is in one piece, starts right up and seems to run just fine.

This morning, get all set to ride, bike fires right up and everything seems swell. Start motoring down the street, and uh-oh.. Bike starts stuttering and sputtering. Voltage monitor is flashing, telling me there is no charging going on. Luckily I turn right around and get back home, headlight is blinking, so is the nuetral light, something is defiantely odd. Turn her off and it will not turn back on again. Check my main fuse and it is blown.

In looking under the seat, I notice that one of the coil wires is unplugged. I most have loosened it by mistake in replacing the air filter. Pope the wire back in, new fuse and bike fires up again, no problem.

On my way again, I hear some kind of wierd rubbing, take a quick look and don't see anything, so I keep going. 1 mile later my turn signals are not working. Stop in the walmart parking lot, and my new LED turn flasher is hanging down by the wires near the rear wheel. Unbend the connectors, and turn signals work again, and off to work.

Good thing I left a little early today, I was only a half hour late to work
. Good thing I am exempt.

Mike

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I think in the manual it states that after servicing carbs, one should check the wiring and re tighten the axle nuts
sounds like gremlins to me as well...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well not the best morning but at least I spent some time on the bike. And, at least it didn't strand me somewhere, though luckily I have everything with me to do most repairs.

One thing I try to do is buy a set of tools for each vehicle, when I work on the vehicle, I used that set of tools. If I find I need something not in the kit I will get one for the vehicle.

Have a ratchet and sockets, all I think I need is a small enough screw driver to adjust the mixture screws and an adjusting wrench.

Mike

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I think we have all bailed water in a similar boat before.

Luckily you got to the bottom before having to abandon ship...

Ok the metaphor worked at first but just did not carry through as well here as it did in my head...

What does being exempt mean is it like being on salary?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think we have all bailed water in a similar boat before.

Luckily you got to the bottom before having to abandon ship...

Ok the metaphor worked at first but just did not carry through as well here as it did in my head...

What does being exempt mean is it like being on salary?

Yeah, exempt is like being on salary, sometimes it works out that I can actually work less than 40 hours, most times not

Bike is still running, not as good as I like but well enough till I get a chance to take the carbs back off and send them to Larry.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.