Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, my grandson tried to dust my bike while it was running with a Swiffer duster. He touched the header pipes and now there is a nasty mess on them. I have tried these: MEK,acetone,methylene chloride (paint remover), Goof Off, and nothing will touch it.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to get this stuff off? Will a brass rotary brush be safe on the chrome? Gad,it looks awful !!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
When a plastic grocery bag attacked my hot header pipe, I use oven cleaner on it. That and some very careful scraping with a razor blade finally took most of it off.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
I had a similar situation a while back. Somehow I brushed my nylon work coat up against the header. I used a razor blade, some steel wool, and WD40, carb cleaner. The razor was most effective with spray/scrape/spray/scrape. A tedious job, but it eventually all came off fine. Just take it slow and easy, so as not to scratch the chrome too much.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Try steel wool while it's very hot. I'd wear work gloves, but that's just me.
Steel wool is soft enough that it "usually" will not scratch chrome. I've removed melted plastic grocery bags this way.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I found a way to remove the melted/burnt plastic mess. I got me some brass rotary brushes for my Dremel tool and at low speed the crap came off beautifully.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.