Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I visited my local Honda shop (about 4 weeks ago) there was a thoroughly smashed CX 500 E in there, waiting for the insurance guy to be written off. No chance for a repair - just about everything bent and smashed. Sad thing to watch! Head on with a car, driven on the wrong side of the road.

Today - just back in town for a couple of days I went in there again to get a couple of bolts. What did I discover on one of the lifts? A German registered GL 500 Silver Wing - with full aftermarket luggage. Maybe not the most pampered bike - 130000 kms and probably more often used than polished. The motor was seized - lhs big-end bearing they said. Almost empty on oil!!

Think I´d better stop visiting! Seems to have an ill effect!!

Sture

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yikes!

You'll understand if I don't invite you to my garage for beers then.....................

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
LOL absolutely I seem to have the same effect, but only on my bike lol It runs great, then the day I put my Dyna mufflers on, the Stator dies :-( Must have something to do with the stupid black cloud that seems to follow me lol

·
Super Moderator
23,991 Posts
My bikes stator was sort of killed by my muffler about a year ago.

Bike runs 2 into 1 with a straight through harley muffler. This was a bit loud so I made a bundle of tubes baffle and welded that into the end followed by a roll of budgie wire and fibreglass sheet. Well the fibreglass broke up in a couple of days and compacted into the end of the muffler choking the exhaust.

Needless to say the next morning the bike wouldn't start and I wound up flattening the battery. The alternator obviously took exception to being asked to recharge a discharged battery and the charging windings went dead to earth.

Fitted a G8 stator and a Raymodule to power the ignition and it's been good since.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Yea, thats something I was actually wondering about, thanks for jogging my memory. I noticed my stator died and my battery went flat .... but, was it my battery went flat and THEN the stator died ?

I made what i think was a bad bobo. When I took the bike out to start this spring, I had to jump start it because the battery was flat (i didnt have it out and charging during the winter, but did start it every month or two until the begining of spring when it wouldnt start). I should have checked the battery (but didnt) to see if all was well. Turns out after a around the block ride, the next day it wouldnt start (low bat). Took out the battery and found 3 of the cells half dry and the other 3 low. I added distilled water and jumped the bike to get it going. Two days later it wouldnt start, checked the voltage and realized the Stator was gone :-(

Now, my question is, is there any protection on these bikes (by way of the regulator) to prevent over current draw from the stator windings, so you dont heat the coils to the point of failure (be it short to ground or open wire). I cant help but wonder if the Stator just died because it was old or because I killed it.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Sture, you have to look at this from another perspective,,

Every time that bike shop has a lost cause CX/GL come into their shop,

the guys that work there are probably saying "Get ready for another visit from Sture"

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
LOL thats when you tell them to give you huge discount or you will put the whammi on there personal vehicles lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.