Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´ve posted about my bike (1981 standard) setting out on one cyl. in rain. It was on the old board and I got a couple of suggestions.

Since then I´ve tried to provoke it with a spraybottle with water, but no luck. No matter how much I soaked the cyl heads and up under the fuel tank - it ran like a champ, but as soon as it sees humidity out on the road, it immediately sets out on one cyl. I´ve swapped ignition coils, plug caps etc., but it still keeps doing it. Annoying!!!

A couple of days ago I told a fellow CX-er (500 EURO) about how my bike reacts on rain. This morning he called me to tell that yesterday evening he had to ride back home in heavy rain, after his regular thursday evening spin. Guess what?? Also his bike started to run on one. He lifted the plug caps to determine which cyl it was, but I´ve forgotten which one.

Is this common?

As I didn´t manage to provoke my bike to do it outside my garage with a spray bottle, I´m going to be a little more determined about it next time. A water hose, directed up under the fuel tank - possibly reaching the area where the CDI unit sits - ought to do the trick. I´m pretty sure it can´t be the plug boots or caps, as those got water enough when I sprayed with the bottle.

Any ideas??

Sture

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Back on the old forum, I'd started a thread about preparing my bike for the rainy season here in Thailand where the rains can be absolutely torrential for hours on end.

One of the suggestions (obviously from a veteran rider) was to get a can of old style hair spray, the kind with extra hold that seems to really lacquer of the hair (think old bouffant style) and spray that on the HT leads, plug caps and anywhere susceptible to rain induced problems.

Thus far, it has worked for me, in really bad rains, though I do have a TI system.

Good luck sorting out the problem.....

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Good idea, although I'd tend to use rattle can clear coat. I'd also coat the CDI module if you have one.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I've posted the old Hairspray trick a few times.It's got me home on several occasions over the years with bikes and cars.

Another good trick when troubleshooting anything to do with the ignition is to use an small Aux tank with the fuel tank off and in the dark.You can sometimes see if there's,"Tracking" of the High tension current at coils/caps and even down the HT/Plug leads leads.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys - will try it all, when I´m back home from "labour camp".

Leaving in two days for 4-5 weeks up north, about 1150 km north of my place - for some tidying up at m´lady´s old place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts