Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, spent a couple of spare hours on the GL400 this weekend, replaced the left-hand diaphram ( not brave enough to do the right handside one, carbs off etc) charged the Battery and made the tail light a little more secure.

Put a can on new petrol in her and tried to fire her up, what a temprimental cow she was, ended up killing the battery twice then decided to jump her via the car batt....1/4 choke no throttle she fired.......then died......tried again .....bingo shes alive, applying a tiny bit of right hand ( women like that you know ) she ticked over..a bit lumpy but she was breathing, all excited i donned me skid lid and took her for a little blap around the block..Ahhhh! bliss, 17 years i had forgotton what it was like. I did notice that once i got to about 3/4 thottle there was a big flat spot but i think that is due to the carbs that need balancing and a gereral good service to be had.

Next to do list is a little daunting, as i need to build my confidence to do the work myself, although i have a few old mates still on two wheels that are more than willing to help.

I will get some pics up soon so you all can see the progress as it happens ( you all probably seen it before, but its all new to me )

Till the next episode..lol

MrB

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Welcome to the Carnival !
Lot's of help here for the ressurection of 30 year old mc's and their riders.

You're right on about needing to clean out the old fuel residoodoo... Mine was a barn queen for a while, started up, ran on one cyl, then two, stumbled in the midrange... a good cleaning of all the fuel system as well as getting the crud out of the breather lines and airbox has it running like a Honda. I've yet to get into my carbs, but it's on the list...

Seeyaround
Vox

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh! the reason i didnt attempt to drop the carbs out was the pipes attaching it look like they could need replacing too, so i wasnt going to mess with them incase they split, then it would take even longer to get her Taxed 'n' Tested. Got a mate of mine poppin over at the weekend to pick her up, to show me the basics of routine maintanance including how to check valve clearances etc, at least we will be in his workshop

One thing i have thought ( mainly because i have short legs ) is that if i removed the original Air box and fitted K&N aftermarket jobbies, i should be able to chop the seating rail, anybody got any advice on this? any links to where i might be able to get a differant seat?

Cheers in advance

MrB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts