Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1981 CX500E
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a product (b12 equivalent) to pour into the spark plug holes for a few days and hopefully free up stuck piston rings. If I’m feeling saucy I may even pump 120psi in there at TDC with my leak down tool. What do we have here in Aus?

·
Registered
1981 CX500E
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Acetone and tranny fluid you say?! Ok, sounds like a cheaper alternative. Any truth to the rumour that air pressure is bad? That we, in fact want the fluid to “seep” it’s way down on its own?

what’s your process? Pour a heap in and let it sit for how long? Drain the oil afterwards?

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
I generally dismantle the engine and free things manually.

But trans fluid and acetone is about as good a penetrant as you will find.

You can use both seep and pressure. They're not mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
1981 CX500E
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve already got the seafoam in there (day 2). I might wait until tomorrow and see if that’s helped. Otherwise I’ll try your mix. How long do you let it soak?

·
Registered
1981 CX500E
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update. The seafoam soak didn’t work but the acetone/ATF seemed to! Blows much less smoke now. I’m also now running a 10w-50 instead of 40, maybe that’s helped too?? The smoke is only when I get back on the throttle. That’s the stem guides, yes?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Imho...you might want to let things bed-down/loosen up...before worrying bout the smoke ....if its relatively slight...
You might be burning off some residual Atf....

·
Registered
1981 CX500E
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed. I’m just going to fang the crap out of it for a while and see. It never USED to blow smoke. I’ve realised that this can happen if you take lots of short rides (guilty!) but slight smoke aside, it still goes like the clappers! 150 on the Eastern freeway today. Not bad for a 41 year old delivery scooter.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Fwiw...use 15/50 oil in vic...the penguin isle.....bike ridden all year round....
Once the tappets are set....and the bikes warm...they do like some time in the 8000 to 9500 range....held....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts