Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
I own the very same one. It works well. I think I paid ten bucks more for it- been a couple years.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's such a good deal I wish I would have ordered 2 of them....one for my riding mower's battery.

·
Registered
816 Posts
So good, you forgot twice!

I have something similar. Schafer 6 & 12 volt unit I got from Wal*Mart, it think.

I recommend any tender with the microprocessor built in...keeps the batteries from over charging. I had a lead acid battery on a charger one time in the basement and forgot about it...weeks later I discover the TOP of the BATTERY had blown off and was completely DRY - NO ACID!

The charger was still plugged in and humming away...

Never will do that again.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I bought one from sears that has the two different set of leads like this one but also one for a cigaret lighter. You can just plug it into the lighter and maintain your battery that was as well.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
seem to do a lot of double posting rick?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have 4 battery chargers, 1 big mother for full size batteries, 1 solar powered similar to Sheps, and 2 little trickle

chargers that have 2 different leads (alligator clips and the 2 prong version). Less than 1 amp charge rate, auto float,

but the biggest plus is the 2 pronger that I hard wired into 2 bikes. Just tuck the lead behind the side cover and never

have to remove it.

Slightly off topic, but have you ever counted the little green lights/leds that exist in your home and garage from chargers,

portable phone bases, DVD players, cell phone chargers, microwaves, coffee makers, clocks etc. Ridiculous. No such thing as total darkness.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I got the HF one and it works fine but I paid $7.

I had one of those (from Harbor Freight) that I used on my lawn tractor successfully for 3-4 years with the same battery. It worked fine. I've got an actual Battery Tender brand charger on my Silverwing.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I should add that the charger that blew up the battery had a larger current capacity than most float chargers. The charger that I am using now has a rating of 1.5A at 14volts, so that shouldn't kill any batteries in the future. Having a uP in the unit adjusts for voltage and current so the delta on the charge rate is not exceeded. Especially useful for charging SLA (sealed lead acid) batteries and charge circuits are most necessary for NiCAD, LiPO and NiMH batts as well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts