Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to give my valve covers a good sunday rub with some autosol and a Dremel. At first it seemed okay, but once you dried it of there was still alot of small imperfections in the aluminium that is just a thorn in my eye. Any good recommendations for getting that mirror like finish?

IMG_6951.JPG IMG_6956.JPG IMG_6958.JPG

·
Registered
7,021 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I have polished some CX500 valve covers and it seems they are clear coated from the factory.
I start with paint stripper to get rid of the clear coat then polish with polishing wheels on my
bench grinder. Start with black (coarse) compound and finish with something milder to get a high polish.
I bought a polishing kit from Caswell. Got 3 or 4 grades of compound and 3 or 4 cloth polishing wheels,
worked good for me but it is a lot of work and is a dirty process. Lots of residue flying off the polishing wheels.
I do not clear coat after polishing but I use car wax for some protection of the shine.

Reactions: Thumper

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i used a kit with different sizes from a local shop. pretty nice because some of them fit right between the "lines and grooves"

Some did grind through the cloth and i scratched one cover because i was grinding away to some metallica...
2000019990.jpeg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if the black coarse stuff you mention is like the Autosol i used, i should search for something milder for finish? i live in Denmark, many of the products you guys use are not available here.. there must be some polishing finish for aluminium..

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
ramp has put you right

if you want perfection

take the job outside

plan on spending some cash

Dremel is a touch up tool for getting into tight spots.

never smoke mota/over indulge and rock out

you will end wit a banged up ??? finger, part, foot,

wanker,wall etc. etc.

1/4 inch die and a 4 in. side grinder

are necessities in any shop

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
As the old clear coat deteriorates it allows corrosion to form on the bare aluminum..........in spots. You have to level all the metal surface to the same plane or you will see those lines that indicate the edges of deeper spots. You can get close enough for most folks but if you are a perfectionist it will require different levels of abrasives to get to that mirror like finish.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts