Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i'm Harry,

I've been following the forum for a litlte while, whilst I have been planning my build.
Finally the construction industry has gone into lockdown in sunny Sydney, Australia and I have a chance to get stuck into my 1980's CX500c.
The PO has thrown alot of the original bike away but it runs, and doesn't seem top leak so I am starting by replacing all the fluids/grease. Renewing the forks and getting new rear springs from TEC in the UK. I have a tank for another year/modelCX which needs new mounting brackets and the electrics look like an offering to the flying spaghetti monster, so the will need to be re done completely. Any locals with recommendations on a fabrication shop or certifier would be most welcome!!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,628 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered if that's what the paperwork shows) to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable (or may even have made something less safe or reliable while modifying something for "style") so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature or in the post above) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

Re the wiring: Don't just start removing wires for the sake of making the wiring harness skinnier without studying what each of them does and why it is there. Keep in mind that Honda wouldn't have invested the time/money/effort to include all of them if there wasn't a good reason for each & every one.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Hi i'm Harry,

I've been following the forum for a litlte while, whilst I have been planning my build.
Any locals with recommendations on a fabrication shop or certifier would be most welcome!!
View attachment 209033
Hi Welcome to the forum.
Yup we Vics are in lockdown too....but me with a foot injury and unable to get a shoe on, less of a matter :(
There is also a Australian register that might give you some suggestions on local shops (NSW)...(you might already be aware.....). Replies are sometimes a lil slow, but local (ANZ) members seems to check in from time to time

1 - 4 of 4 Posts