Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that ATGATT stands for All The Gear All The Time.

I can't say that I'm ATGATT as I don't always ride with boots and only wear mesh MC or mechanics gloves, Joe Rocket mesh MC jacket, and full face Scorpion helmet all the time.

The Joe Rocket mesh jacket is a Phoenix I believe with the soft foam spine protection, hard elbow and shoulder protection. The Scorpion is a 400 series helmet, Paradise with Skull Skins US Flag helmet cover.

The khaki's I wear for work aren't going to protect as much as jeans would.

So, what constitutes ATGATT and what do you wear?

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
me i wear full face helmet jeans steel toe boots and gloves and leather jacket no matter where i am headed i am in full gear

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm AATGATT (almost ATGATT).

Currently I ride with a full face KBC helmet, FieldSheer jacket, work-gloves (home depot style), jeans (not mc specific), and some mid-calf combat boots (non steel-toe).

Next spring I will get some MC specific gloves, riding jeans, and boots. Would like to get a new jacket for summer too...this one is too dang hot, even with the liner removed.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
dont ask,

june,july,august and most of september virtually nothing..........just an open face bash hat,trainers,shorts and vest.

iv just put a pair of socks on for the first time since may,so i know winter is coming.i love the winter,hat,jeans,sweatshirt,within 2 months ill get my coat out,then keep riding through the winter

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
..... didn't we have this thread already, or am I just remembering one for no reason???

It's been a bad day so far, can we start over?

no you can not start over but maybe you need a drink i think that could help your day go better but anyway dakota what do you wear for ATGATT??? or do you not wear ATGATT??

·
Registered
120 Posts
ATGATT for me is Fullface Helmet, Leather Jacket, Spine protector, Gloves, Boots, and Double-knee Carhartts with leg armor underneath. Sounds excessive but it isn't that much of a pain besides the take-on/off time.

I sometimes skip the leg and chest armor, but i never ride without helmet, jacket, gloves, boots...been in too much stupid shit to know better.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
started by kingston, supposed to be the opposite view of ATGATT

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/to...ite-side/page__p__581__fromsearch__1#entry581

seemed to be a lot of discussion FOR ATGATT....

Sorry you are having a bad day Dakota. I started the thread without searching, mea culpa.

I was wondering more of what gear people ride with when dressed in ATGATT

I'm a big guy so part of the equation for ATGATT is difficult to find.

I'm in southern AZ where temps are still in the 80s (and dry) and will be for a while. If I were not at 4800 feet the temps would be in the high 80s to 90s (Tucson is at 2400 feet and seeing those temps.)

But, I just had some surgery last week that is going to keep me off the bike for several weeks...and this is beautiful riding weather.

I intend to switch to ride in boots but don't think I will go steel toed. Thus far in my life I've never found a pair that was very comfortable for my big feet (13).

My Joe Rocket Mesh jacket (black only option in my size) has elbow, shoulder, and spine protection...plus the road rash resistant mesh. The mechanics gloves have the clarino leather palms and are about as protective as most other mesh gloves I find out there in MC shops & dealers.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
hell rafster i know what you mean about the temps.........i am only at 3300 here but the temps are great 80's to 90's but hell its better than the 110 to 120 we are used to huh......and i wear my leather year round the way i look at it is its only hot when you stop......

·
Registered
369 Posts
I look at it as trying to protect all of you from harm in the event of a get off. I wear Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket or Tourmaster Transition 2 depending on weather. Joe Rocket Atomic gloves or Field Sheer Navigator gloves (again depending on weather). Field Sheer 4 season overpants, steel toed hiking boots, until I can find riding boots that I like and fit. AFX FX-28 modular helmet.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Thanks!

David
What ever makes you feel safe.

I ride with a 3/4 helmet, good goggles, heavy leather jacket, leather gloves, heavy jeans and steel toed Red Wings. And my most important piece of safety gear, paying attention to all the bone heads NOT paying attention.

·
Registered
583 Posts
What ever makes you feel safe.

I ride with a 3/4 helmet, good goggles, heavy leather jacket, leather gloves, heavy jeans and steel toed Red Wings. And my most important piece of safety gear, paying attention to all the bone heads NOT paying attention.
I ride with all the gear except the boots.... I rock my sambas

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Well lets see.

KBC VR1 and KBC VR3 Full Face Helmets

Fieldsheer Outlaw jacket with 3 piece upgradable armor.

Icon Merc short gloves.

Pants are a tough call. I have a pair of Fox Panther series pants with two piece armor

and

First Gear Hypertex cold weather pants. They're actually 10 years old but the guy I got them from lived in Hawaii so they look new. I had some 2008's that were a few inches two big.

I would really like a pair of Icon Arc pants in black.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/653778/Icon-ARC-Textile-Overpant

And boots.

My girlfriend is turning into an armor snob but she knows what she likes.

She molested a scorpion dahlia jacket in black till I found one for one hell of a price.

She wears the KBC VR1 helmet when we're out.

She has boots and if it weren't for the price she would have some nice gloves, pants and even nicer boots. Her words not mine.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I know that ATGATT stands for All The Gear All The Time.

The khaki's I wear for work aren't going to protect as much as jeans would.

Jeans provide damned near zero protection unless you get them with Kevlar in the seat and on the knees; i.e., Draggin Jeans or the like. Of course, they're hotter than all sin so I wear them only when it cools down some. I may also wear leather chaps if I'm going far enough and it's really cold out. In the summer, I wear Kevlar lined cargo pants.

Of course, all the usual stuff: armored jacket (leather in the winter; mesh in the summer), armored gloves (gauntlets in the winter; mesh in the summer); engineer's boots any time I ride summer or winter; and a full helmet at all times.

I've been hurt before. I know it doesn't always happen to the other guy. Depending on luck to protect you is just plain stupid. You need to do your part as well.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I agree jeans do not offer much protection at all. In hot weather I wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix Mesh Jacket and Joe Rocket Mesh pants over light slacks and a T shirt. In colder weather I wear a one piece FeildSheer Highlander II suit. Both these get ups have armor in the usual places. Spine, shoulder,elbow, hip, knee. I always wear my AlpineStars water proof Touring boots which have some light shin and ankle armor built in. I always wear gloves, perforated leather in hot weather and insulated leather in colder weather, both with hard knuckles. I wear a Bell Star full face helmet. In really cold weather I wear heated liners in the suit, gloves and boots. That is All The Gear to me.

All The Time is harder for me to do. Sometimes I wear Carhart logger double front jeans. But I view them as just an extra layer of skin at best. Armored gear helps against impact injuries as well as abrasions. One fellow I know tipped over at a stop sign wearing jeans and shattered his kneecap when it hit the pavement. The helmet is non negotiable with me, I always wear it. I have seen too many serious head injuries and two deaths that might not have been even serious injuries if the rider had been wearing a helmet. One of the deaths was a friend of mine who tipped over at 5mph and hit his head on the pavement. The other was a rider who went off the road and smashed his bare head against a tree. I would like to avoid that if possible, so I wear a helmet all the time.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The helmet is non negotiable with me, I always wear it. I have seen too many serious head injuries and two deaths that might not have been even serious injuries if the rider had been wearing a helmet. One of the deaths was a friend of mine who tipped over at 5mph and hit his head on the pavement. The other was a rider who went off the road and smashed his bare head against a tree. I would like to avoid that if possible, so I wear a helmet all the time.

Likewise. All three times I've dropped my bike was in a driveway or parking lot at between zero and maybe 3 MPH. The last time I was trying to back out of a space on a hillside and just lost it. I cracked the back of my head on the asphalt hard enough to feel goofy for several minutes. I am convinced if I hadn't had a helmet on, I'd have been seriously injured. As it was, I sent the helmet to Shoei to have them check it.

But that reinforced a personal rule: I won't get on the bike without a helmet... ever. Not in the garage; not on the road. I haven't got so much brain matter that I can afford to give any of it up.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
ok then thanks for the heads up gary well then i better start saying that i dont wear ATGATT then huh.......well now i feel stupid

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
ok then thanks for the heads up gary well then i better start saying that i dont wear ATGATT then huh.......well now i feel stupid

Lucky for you we're extending it to ATGICAATT.

All The Gear I Can Afford All The Time.

At least you're wearing pants.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.