Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting the winter machine ready and started thinking about the front brake.

Winter is hard on front brakes - extreme cold can cause the pistons to stick in their bores and cause the brakes to drag and I am convinced that the grit they put on the roads for traction somehow causes the pads to wear much faster (I know the salt corrodes the calliper bodies to the point that the rubber piston rings can start to work their way out around the piston in a couple of years). Because of this I sometimes go through a set of pads in a year so I usually use good used pads from the wrecker or salvaged from bikes I was scrapping (I haven't bought new brake pads for a winter bike in a looooong time) but I have run out of those so I decided to see what I could find on eBay.

Has anyone tried these? http://cgi.ebay.ca/Honda-CX650-CX-6...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53dfba08e9

I have never heard of Pyramid but they look like a bargain for the price...

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
I bought tapered bearings from them and something else and it was of good quality. For brakes I like EBC. But I would be willing to try those. Wonder if they have shoes.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You use the rear brake a lot more on a sidecar outfit in the winter than you do on a solo bike in the summer. A significant percentage of the front tire's traction is needed to keep the mass of the sidecar from pushing the outfit into the lane to your left so if you apply the front brake too hard on snow/ice the front wheel locks, the handlebars snap to the right and you loose the ability to steer. If it gets cold enough the pistons in the front brake can stick in their bores and when that happens all you can do is give the calliper a shot with your boot heel to release it and use the back brake until it warms up. When I got my GL500 it had almost new Vesrah shoes in the back brake. The last time I had the back wheel off, almost 40,000 Km (4 winters & 2 summers) later the shoes still had most of their friction material left.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I don't know about the pads but I've bought Pyramid fork seals and they have worked fine whereas some other cheap-a** brand failed within a couple of months.I also have fitted Pyramid Roller bearing kit to a frame but as it's a spare it's never been used so cannot say but they seem decent quality.

My 10 penn'th.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I've basically seen three different descriptions for pads sold for our bikes:

1) Came right out and admitted they were common semi-metallic

2) Claimed they were Kevlar but had a long list of different metals they were embedded with

3) Organic, but also often with a list of or mention that metallic compounds are embedded in them.

I wish someone would produce ceramic pads for these. They're embedded with some copper (and probably a few other things) but most of the friction is from the ceramic base. I use the Raybestos brand of these on the fronts of my cars and have always experienced extremely good and stable braking over conventionals, no squeaking, minimal dusting and long life. Another advantage is that they tend to slow the heat transfer between the pads and calipers - even after hard braking periods my calipers are a lot cooler than other people's in identical cars that had conventional semi-metallic pads on them.

They only seem to have one actually possible drawback, on rare occasions people have had them crack. How I don't know, could have been a defect, could have been from getting them extremely hot then hitting a puddle of water or it may just be a fluke.

Shep, I think the fork seals I bought were also from Pyramid however only time will tell if they're good.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Shep, I think the fork seals I bought were also from Pyramid however only time will tell if they're good.

That's the problem with some parts.Only time and hammering them will tell.I can say that over here we suffer from a lot of pot-holes in the roads and so far they have held up for about 3/4 months and say around 2,500+ miles and I use a lot of bad surfaced,"B" roads as they are called over here some of which are basically single lane farm/rural type tracks.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Emgo stuff is usually pretty decent. I have an Emgo air filter sitting on the shelf waiting to go in.

I ordered the pads. I will let you guys know how I liked them in the spring.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've got those pads on my front end (Dual '82 Magna discs/brakes)

Overall, they are worth the money - but they are cheap. They don't have good initial bite at all, I MUCH preferred the organic EBCs I used to have - but they DO perform pretty decent once you really heat them up. No fade once warmed up nicely, that I've noticed. No reports on wear yet.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The pads sold by the same place I got the rear brake shoes (see post towards the top) are also made by EMGO and they've got a single slot down the center which, in my experience with LS1 Camaro pads, actually improves braking over solid pads.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I do not know about Pyramid except for their bearings, and I am not impressed with their bearings.

I bought a rear wheel bearing set for my 650E, and one of them was grinding, right out of the box.

I have had great luck with EBC pads, and will never touch a Galfer pad again.

·
Super Moderator
17,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The pads came today (8 days) - surprisingly fast for something coming from the States. They look good but I won't know how well they work until I get a chance to install them and that will have to wait to be done one weekend after the outfit is back on the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts