Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
I had solid struts on mine and NO padding on my bum. It was miserable so I went back to shocks. I will try again once I get some springs under the seat. I will most likely go to 10" shocks. Why undo the thoughtful engineering that went into the swing arm.

Rusty

·
Registered
37 Posts
I love the idea of a hard tail but with the 50 miles each way to work there is no way in hell that I'd have one as my main ride.

Maybe as a bar hopper like Blindstitch said but nothing more than that.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I recall reading about a "hardtail" kit which hid rear shocks or struts. IIRC I think it was Charles that may have posted the info to the old list. I don't recall the details, if it was Charles, let's hope he chimes in.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I recall reading about a "hardtail" kit which hid rear shocks or struts. IIRC I think it was Charles that may have posted the info to the old list. I don't recall the details, if it was Charles, let's hope he chimes in.
Not for nothing, but I think if you're gonna hide them then that makes you a poser. Real men ride true hardtails. That said, I think I'll keep my shocks! Image is everything, and I want people to know I'm a big baby.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Friend of mine built this last year. (Hi Glen.)

Rode it for 5 hours, couldn't walk for 5 hours after.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I rode a hardtail springer front end triumph in the 80's. When I was a young man of 26-28

The key to that was to get an old style bias ply "pizza cutter" tire.

Run the rear tire at 12p.s.i. or so, and you had a full 1/4 inch of bump absorbing

bounce inthe reas wheel.

Today's radials are way to stiff to ride hardtail.

You could actually make it bearable with the right rear tire,

but the hardtail tradeoffs in ride, handling, and longevity are extensive.

I consider a hardtail bike often, but would not have one as my only ride, too limited..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Posted Today, 10:00 AM

I rode a hardtail springer front end triumph in the 80's. When I was a young man of 26-28

The key to that was to get an old style bias ply "pizza cutter" tire.

Run the rear tire at 12p.s.i. or so, and you had a full 1/4 inch of bump absorbing

bounce in the rear wheel.

Today's radials are way to stiff to ride hardtail.

You could actually make it bearable with the right rear tire,

But the hardtail tradeoffs in ride, handling, and longevity are extensive.

I consider a hardtail bike often, but would not have one as my only ride, too limited..

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been ridding mine as a hard tail for two years now id however run it with 3 psi low in the rear tire and i used one of the old coil overs as aspring seat post that being said it rides about like my wifes sprotster i ride about 300-500 miles a week this way. But in the END(HA HA) its up to the owners!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.