Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying tires. I was thinking of thowing them on the rims myself until I saw a balance weight on the rim. Do you guys take them and get them balanced, balance them yourself or forget balancing? -carter

·
Registered
369 Posts
with some help from a friend I installed my own tires and balanced them as well. Just put the axle back in and set it across a level surface. Give it a gentle push and waited for the wheel to stop turning. Marked the spot and did it again. When it returned to that same spot put a few ounces there that were already on the wheel. Give it a couple more spins and it stopped at different spots each time. Was good enough for me. No wobbles so guess I got it right.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Yes tyre balance is important not only for rider comfort but unbalanced tyres wear other components faster.

Funny old world

I've just this second come in from balancing a new back tyre.I placed the cleaned and lubed axle through the rear wheel and balanced it between two Wheelie Bins<grin>.I already had some stick on weights.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pinecar-Designe...537?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f15bb8b1

or similar.

You can use the info in this video but there's quite a few on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2AuivYzaBs

·
Registered
23 Posts
What were the "beads" that went through a while ago on the old forum that self balanced a tire?

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Some tips.

1:Whilst you have the rear wheel off check the swinging arm area for corrosion and wire brush off and anti-rust treat.You can get stuff at supermarkets/Autozone and a bit of Rattle can black.

2:Slack off the 3 nuts/bolts on the rear drive box and leave these until last to tighten.This was a tip from the old Swedish CX/GL board.It allows the rear wheel to centre correctly.I don't know if is does or does not but I've always used and never once had any rear wheel,"Crabbing" from being misaligned.

3:Use some grease/copper grease on threads so that if and when you need to remove the rear wheel and parts they come away easy in future.

HTH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.