Honda CX 500 Forum banner

81 - 82 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mark, have you tried silver soldering the nuts or nails onto dents - instead of welding - to pull them out?
I've been very successful doing that and the temperature of the tank metal is a LOT less, no red glowing even. I used 45% silver solder (used for soldering tungsten carbide tips onto tools). I also tried plumber's silver solder 1.5 and 3% silver, but it is too brittle because of the high zinc content. So as soon as the metal under the solder changes shape during the pull, it's off..... I also tried TIG brazing with silicone bronze (on a tank without any fuel smell - from being dry for years), that worked extremely well and very fast! But it does take a little trial and error practice on scrap to get the temperature high enough for a nut and not high enough to melt through the thin tank sheet metal. In the end I made up small D-shaped sheet metal tabs with a hole for a slide hammer hook instead. TIG brazing a sheet metal tab to a sheet metal tank was very easy and reliable. It also made it easier to grind the clean again, rather than having the surface area of a brazed on nut to deal with.
Cheers,
Joe

81 - 82 of 82 Posts