Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a digital speedometer, which shows everything in a neat display. Oil pressure, speed, rpms, turn signal, headlights etc. Anyone know if this can be made to fit on a cx500? I only have my speedo left from the original, so I can't see rpms for example. I trimmed all the wires from the signals and hid them in the front light housing, but I guess I need them for the digital tach?

The product I have in mind is a Koso db-ex02

Any advice and thoughts are welcome!
Regards

·
Registered
554 Posts
yes the digital gauges can be made to work. I have a Danmoto Nano on my CX. On my bike I pull the tach signal from pin 15 on my ignitech. if you have the stock cdi box, you can wrap the rpm signal wire around the spark plug wire from cylinder #1 a few times. Then divide the rpm count in half. there is a setting to do that in the koso gauges.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Further to fongue's comments, which seem on the money, you have other options, such as analog faced gauges which are digitally driven or GPS speedo.
Check www.speedhut.com for this option.

John

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would be good if I can order from within Europe, since importing is costly and unnecessary if I can get a hold of them here. Anything else I need to think about? Are there any major pains to installing digital/gps speedos?

Thanks for the link, they seem to have every possible gauge in the world. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
yes the digital gauges can be made to work. I have a Danmoto Nano on my CX. On my bike I pull the tach signal from pin 15 on my ignitech. if you have the stock cdi box, you can wrap the rpm signal wire around the spark plug wire from cylinder #1 a few times. Then divide the rpm count in half. there is a setting to do that in the koso gauges.
Hey could you post a photo or email me a photo of pin #15 you are talking about. I’ve got a LCD digital cluster off eBay. And I’ve got everything going except for the RPM’s not sure where to hook them up at. Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've been using one of the Acewell 22XX series gauges and it's pretty great. It does take a little adjusting but can't complain! They include pretty much everything and I mounted it by making an ugly replica of the choke mount bracket.

-Nick

·
Registered
146 Posts
I fitted a Acewell 4454, analog taco and digital everything else. UK supplier and support, very helpful and the quality is top notch. The 44 series have an integrated mounting bracket and you can also order a Speedo cable that connects to the original CX speedo drive and temperature switch.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I fitted a Acewell 4454, analog taco and digital everything else. UK supplier and support, very helpful and the quality is top notch. The 44 series have an integrated mounting bracket and you can also order a Speedo cable that connects to the original CX speedo drive and temperature switch.
Just out of curiosity, how did you rig up your tach? Did you wrap the wire around the ignition coil wire or something else?

-Nick

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,305 Posts
Hey could you post a photo or email me a photo of pin #15 you are talking about. I’ve got a LCD digital cluster off eBay. And I’ve got everything going except for the RPM’s not sure where to hook them up at. Thanks
Unfortunately, you have re-opened a 9 year old thread and the person you are asking last visited the forum 3 months ago and the time before that was in 2018 so you aren't likely to get an answer.

·
Super Moderator
5,166 Posts
Lukeburritos you can download an Igntech manual for your bike and by observing the locations of the different wires in the connector determine which is pin 15.

wire color

DCCDIP2​

pin no.

DCCDIP2​

wire color

motorbike​

name​

description​

orange

pink​

IC 1

inductive coil 1 (right)

blue

blue​

GND

ground (used for grounding of HV supply)

POWEROUT 1

power output 1

M

output for servomotor

M

output for servomotor

TPS

throttle position sensor

INPUT 2

multifunctional input 2

2x yellow

light green, light green/red​

PICK-UP 1

input for pick-up 1

white

yellow​

IC 2

inductive coil 2 (left)

blue

green​

GND

power ground

POWEROUT 2

power output 2

red

black (from ignition key)​

+ 12 V

supply 12 V

POWEROUT 3

power output 3

TACHO

output for tachometer

blue

white​

GND

ground (used for grounding of HV supply)

+ 5 V

supply for sensors

STPS

servo position sensor

green (grey/red)

black/white​

INPUT 1

multifunctional input 1 (used for kill switch

2x brown

orange, orange/red​

PICK-UP 2

input for pick-up 2

·
Super Moderator
17,305 Posts
Nick, it was OK for Deliverance to connect the instrument to the coil because his CX500E has TI but doesn't your bike have CDI? (I found a reference to you having an '81 Deluxe) If so DO NOT connect the tach input of your electronic instrument to an ignition coil. These instruments are designed to have that input connected to a 12V coil (as found in TI or points systems) but the CDI sends 200V to the coils.

If you have Ignitech ignition connect the tach input to pin #15 as indicated in Mike's post above.
If you have stock CDI connect it according to Rayman's instructions here

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi don't suppose you could help me wire mine in struggling knowing what colour wires on the bikes loom is what

·
Super Moderator
17,305 Posts
Now there's irony for you. Lukeburritos joined the forum and made just one post to re-open a 5 year old thread to ask a question of a member who no longer frequents the forum and now you have re-opened it again to ask him something.

Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered as UK paperwork shows) to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.

While you are in the wiki look for the wiring diagram for your model and year. There should be a monochrome drawing of the UK version and a colour drawing of the North American version; There are some differences in the lighting circuits (NA version has marker lights in the front turn signals, UK version has a headlight switch and a front parking light) but most of the wiring is the same so download both because the colour drawing is easier to follow. There is also a Honda Wire Color Codes chart (applies to all models) that can help you figure out which colour of wire does what.

BTW: I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

·
Super Moderator
5,166 Posts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts